Jun 24, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
Few sports weekends were as rich in brotherly love as this draft weekend was. Really, it feels like Philadelphia should have hosted the event instead of Pittsburgh.* The Staal brothers (minus Marc) have been united in Carolina – even Jared’s developing in the Hurricanes’ system – and the Schenn brothers now bring that brotherly love theme to a new level with the Flyers.
“Luke is my best friend,” Brayden Schenn said. “We are very tight, we talk every day. Toronto was really good to him, but he didn’t have the greatest season. He needed a fresh start. I think this will have a huge impact on my career. We push each other, and he knows just what to say to get me going.”
By almost all accounts, the Toronto Maple Leafs “won” the James van Riemsdyk-Luke Schenn trade from a public opinion standpoint. Both are coming off disappointing seasons, yet JVR’s upside, size and 2011 playoff run gave him significantly greater trade value than Schenn. That being said, maybe Brayden is onto something; Toronto is one of the few markets that can gobble up a struggling player more than Philly. Getting a fresh start in a town that loves rough-and-tumble players might just be the tonic for what’s ailing Luke.
Then again, maybe a good old-fashioned brother hug might help every now and then, too.
* – Philly gets it in 2014, though.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5