Jun 24, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
Few sports weekends were as rich in brotherly love as this draft weekend was. Really, it feels like Philadelphia should have hosted the event instead of Pittsburgh.* The Staal brothers (minus Marc) have been united in Carolina – even Jared’s developing in the Hurricanes’ system – and the Schenn brothers now bring that brotherly love theme to a new level with the Flyers.
“Luke is my best friend,” Brayden Schenn said. “We are very tight, we talk every day. Toronto was really good to him, but he didn’t have the greatest season. He needed a fresh start. I think this will have a huge impact on my career. We push each other, and he knows just what to say to get me going.”
By almost all accounts, the Toronto Maple Leafs “won” the James van Riemsdyk-Luke Schenn trade from a public opinion standpoint. Both are coming off disappointing seasons, yet JVR’s upside, size and 2011 playoff run gave him significantly greater trade value than Schenn. That being said, maybe Brayden is onto something; Toronto is one of the few markets that can gobble up a struggling player more than Philly. Getting a fresh start in a town that loves rough-and-tumble players might just be the tonic for what’s ailing Luke.
Then again, maybe a good old-fashioned brother hug might help every now and then, too.
* – Philly gets it in 2014, though.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)