Jun 24, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
Few sports weekends were as rich in brotherly love as this draft weekend was. Really, it feels like Philadelphia should have hosted the event instead of Pittsburgh.* The Staal brothers (minus Marc) have been united in Carolina – even Jared’s developing in the Hurricanes’ system – and the Schenn brothers now bring that brotherly love theme to a new level with the Flyers.
“Luke is my best friend,” Brayden Schenn said. “We are very tight, we talk every day. Toronto was really good to him, but he didn’t have the greatest season. He needed a fresh start. I think this will have a huge impact on my career. We push each other, and he knows just what to say to get me going.”
By almost all accounts, the Toronto Maple Leafs “won” the James van Riemsdyk-Luke Schenn trade from a public opinion standpoint. Both are coming off disappointing seasons, yet JVR’s upside, size and 2011 playoff run gave him significantly greater trade value than Schenn. That being said, maybe Brayden is onto something; Toronto is one of the few markets that can gobble up a struggling player more than Philly. Getting a fresh start in a town that loves rough-and-tumble players might just be the tonic for what’s ailing Luke.
Then again, maybe a good old-fashioned brother hug might help every now and then, too.
* – Philly gets it in 2014, though.
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 5
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 11
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 11
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)