Jun 24, 2012, 5:13 PM EDT
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson got the man he wanted with the second overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft: defenseman Ryan Murray.
The Oilers conformed to conventional wisdom and took Nail Yakupov with the top pick. However, going into the draft there was some speculation that Edmonton might surprise people by taking Murray, especially given how many young, skilled forwards were already in the Oilers’ organization.
If the Oilers had taken Murray, would the Blue Jackets have responded by scooping up Nail Yakupov? Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reported that the simple answer is no. Instead, Howson would have traded their top pick.
“We had a very attractive offer,” Howson said, “and then we got another offer from the same team.”
Howson insists that he thinks Yakupov will be a good player, but it looks like he had no intention of adding him to the Blue Jackets’ organization.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (84)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games