Jun 23, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
A minor, yet intriguing deal from the third round of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — the Winnipeg Jets have acquired the negotiating rights to Toronto Maple Leafs goalie Jonas Gustavsson for a conditional 7th-round pick in 2013.
Before signing with Toronto in 2009, “The Monster” was once considered one of the finest goalies not playing in the NHL while starring for Farjestads of the Swedish Elite League.
The 27-year-old has spent the last three seasons with the Leafs, occasionally flirting with the starting gig, posting a 39-45-15 record with a .900 save percentage and 2.98 GAA.
Gustavsson will be a UFA when his deal (that pays $1.35 million annually) expires on July 1.
That Winnipeg decided to pick up his negotiating rights is intriguing. Ondrej Pavelec is an impending RFA and rumored to have a massive deal on the table from the KHL and last year’s backup, Chris Mason, is 35 and set to become a UFA on July 1.
It’s possible the Jets are bringing Gustavsson aboard in a backup role — or, if things go completely pear-shaped with Pavelec and Mason, as a contender for the starting gig.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 23
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 32
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)