Jun 23, 2012, 10:55 AM EST
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman came into the 2012 NHL Entry Draft armed with picks and many expecting him to use them in a potential trade.
On Saturday morning, that prediction came true.
Yzerman made the first significant move of Round 2 by sending Michel Ouellet and his fifth-round pick to Boston in exchange for Benoit Pouliot.
Okay, the rights to Benoit Pouliot.
Pouliot, 25, is an impending RFA coming off a deal that saw him make $1.1 million last year with the Bruins. The former first-round pick — Minnesota took him fourth overall in 2005 — had a decent-if-unspectacular 2011-12 campaign in Boston, scoring 16G-16A-32PTS in 74 games (career highs in goals and points, by the way.)
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty said the Bruins “had little intention of qualifying [Pouliot] as an RFA,” so the deal gives Yzerman a head start on negotiating — within the parameters of restricted free agent qualifying offers, of course.
As for the fit, the deal makes sense given Pouliot’s ties to the Lightning. He briefly played under head coach Guy Boucher with Montreal’s AHL affiliate in Hamilton, along with Lightning forwards J.T. Wyman and Tom Pyatt.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)