Jun 23, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
Brandon Prust was a guy the New York Rangers seemed to rally around this past season. He would drop the gloves with opponents, he played tough on the penalty kill, and was an all-around solid teammate. That doesn’t mean a whole lot to Rangers GM Glen Sather when it comes to negotiating a new contract.
Sather tells Larry Brooks of the New York Post that while he likes Prust, he’s not exactly enamored with him.
“I don’t think we’re going to get that one done,” said the GM, whose club selected defenseman Brady Skjei from the USA-Under 18 Development Team with the 28th overall pick in the draft. “I like him, the team likes him, everybody likes him … but I’m not married to him.”
Breaking up is hard to do.
Prust is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and he showed he’s got skills other than just getting in scraps. In 2010-11 he had 13 goals, five shorthanded and this past season he tallied five goals, two of them while killing penalties. Someone will be hot after him come July 1, but it won’t be the Rangers.
To add to the hurt feelings, Prust tweets that he’s pretty sad himself.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)