Jun 23, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
Brandon Prust was a guy the New York Rangers seemed to rally around this past season. He would drop the gloves with opponents, he played tough on the penalty kill, and was an all-around solid teammate. That doesn’t mean a whole lot to Rangers GM Glen Sather when it comes to negotiating a new contract.
Sather tells Larry Brooks of the New York Post that while he likes Prust, he’s not exactly enamored with him.
“I don’t think we’re going to get that one done,” said the GM, whose club selected defenseman Brady Skjei from the USA-Under 18 Development Team with the 28th overall pick in the draft. “I like him, the team likes him, everybody likes him … but I’m not married to him.”
Breaking up is hard to do.
Prust is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and he showed he’s got skills other than just getting in scraps. In 2010-11 he had 13 goals, five shorthanded and this past season he tallied five goals, two of them while killing penalties. Someone will be hot after him come July 1, but it won’t be the Rangers.
To add to the hurt feelings, Prust tweets that he’s pretty sad himself.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)