Jun 23, 2012, 10:45 AM EST
Brandon Prust was a guy the New York Rangers seemed to rally around this past season. He would drop the gloves with opponents, he played tough on the penalty kill, and was an all-around solid teammate. That doesn’t mean a whole lot to Rangers GM Glen Sather when it comes to negotiating a new contract.
Sather tells Larry Brooks of the New York Post that while he likes Prust, he’s not exactly enamored with him.
“I don’t think we’re going to get that one done,” said the GM, whose club selected defenseman Brady Skjei from the USA-Under 18 Development Team with the 28th overall pick in the draft. “I like him, the team likes him, everybody likes him … but I’m not married to him.”
Breaking up is hard to do.
Prust is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and he showed he’s got skills other than just getting in scraps. In 2010-11 he had 13 goals, five shorthanded and this past season he tallied five goals, two of them while killing penalties. Someone will be hot after him come July 1, but it won’t be the Rangers.
To add to the hurt feelings, Prust tweets that he’s pretty sad himself.
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 1
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 18
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 71
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)