Jun 23, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
Brandon Prust was a guy the New York Rangers seemed to rally around this past season. He would drop the gloves with opponents, he played tough on the penalty kill, and was an all-around solid teammate. That doesn’t mean a whole lot to Rangers GM Glen Sather when it comes to negotiating a new contract.
Sather tells Larry Brooks of the New York Post that while he likes Prust, he’s not exactly enamored with him.
“I don’t think we’re going to get that one done,” said the GM, whose club selected defenseman Brady Skjei from the USA-Under 18 Development Team with the 28th overall pick in the draft. “I like him, the team likes him, everybody likes him … but I’m not married to him.”
Breaking up is hard to do.
Prust is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and he showed he’s got skills other than just getting in scraps. In 2010-11 he had 13 goals, five shorthanded and this past season he tallied five goals, two of them while killing penalties. Someone will be hot after him come July 1, but it won’t be the Rangers.
To add to the hurt feelings, Prust tweets that he’s pretty sad himself.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 33
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 51
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 37
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 74
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 45
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)