Jun 23, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
Day 2 of the NHL Draft was somewhat lacking in drama, but what it did have was the Montreal Canadiens doing well enough to wow prospect watchers.
The Habs cleaned up getting the No. 3 overall European skater, forward Sebastian Collberg with their second-round pick, 33rd overall, and following it up by choosing rugged defenseman Dalton Thrower later in the round at 51. We highlighted both of those players in our draft preview and could be considered steals in the second.
In the third round, Montreal selected forward Tim Bozon (No. 42 North American skater), son of former St. Louis Blues forward Philippe Bozon. The Habs then followed that up with forwards Brady Vail (No. 38 North American skater) in the fourth round, Charles Hudon (No. 95 North American skater) in the fifth, and Erik Nystrom (85th European skater) in the sixth.
For GM Marc Bergevin and Montreal’s Director Of Amateur Scouting Trevor Timmins, it could turn out to be a draft that helps turn around an organization that was lacking in prospects. By aiming to take the best player available each time they picked, Montreal has hope once again. Now they’ll just have to hope these kids can live up to their billing.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)