Jun 23, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
“It was unfortunate timing,” Staal said Saturday, as reported by Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer. “It worked out for the best, but it was very emotional. We didn’t know when we planned the wedding that it was the day of the draft, and then something like that happens.
“It was a little emotional but still very exciting. Even when you know something might be coming, it’s still a shock. It’s tough to take it all in.”
No doubt, but it’s probably also a welcome change. Although Staal’s time with the Pittsburgh Penguins was certainly memorable, this is a great opportunity for him. In Carolina, he’s likely to get plenty of ice time with the man advantage and maybe even be part of the Hurricanes’ first line.
“It’s an opportunity for me to show what I can do offensively,” he said. “It’s a new challenge for me. I’m excited to get a lot of wins, make the playoffs and see what we can do.”
On top of that, he’ll be able to spend the season with his brother, Eric Staal.
Jordan has talked with Eric about the possibility of playing together in the past.
“It was something we would like to do and doesn’t happen often in the NHL,” Staal said.
He still remembers playing with his brother during the 2007 World Championship.
“It was after my first year in the NHL and he was already a wily veteran,” Staal said, chuckling. “I played on his line one game. We won the tournament and it was great. It was memorable for us, for our family.”
As it turns out, it was also just a prelude for what’s to come.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)