Jun 23, 2012, 3:08 PM EDT
As CSNWashington’s Chuck Gormley reported, Capitals GM George McPhee was asked on Saturday if he had any sort of update to offer regarding the team’s possible negotiations with Alexander Semin and Dennis Wideman.
“Not at this point,” McPhee said. “We’ll get back to that stuff this week.”
If McPhee is interested in retaining their services, he’ll have to act quickly as both of them are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents on July 1. However, at this point, it would be a surprise if the Capitals re-signed either one.
Washington still has some cap space to work with, so they might seek to further compensate for their potential losses during the free agent period. However, McPhee isn’t making any promises.
“I don’t mind where we are,” McPhee said. “We’ll explore some things in free agency but I don’t think we’re desperate to do anything.”
- Report: Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 4
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 9
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 2
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 23
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)