Jun 23, 2012, 3:08 PM EDT
As CSNWashington’s Chuck Gormley reported, Capitals GM George McPhee was asked on Saturday if he had any sort of update to offer regarding the team’s possible negotiations with Alexander Semin and Dennis Wideman.
“Not at this point,” McPhee said. “We’ll get back to that stuff this week.”
If McPhee is interested in retaining their services, he’ll have to act quickly as both of them are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents on July 1. However, at this point, it would be a surprise if the Capitals re-signed either one.
Washington still has some cap space to work with, so they might seek to further compensate for their potential losses during the free agent period. However, McPhee isn’t making any promises.
“I don’t mind where we are,” McPhee said. “We’ll explore some things in free agency but I don’t think we’re desperate to do anything.”
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 11
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22