Jun 23, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT
Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington is reporting that Capitals GM George McPhee has completed the interviews for the Washington Capitals’ vacant coaching gig. As a result, we might find out who Dale Hunter’s replacement will be as early as next week.
“I might be leaning one way,” McPhee said. “We’ll see. I’ve got a few more questions to ask next week, not of these people, but of people who know them.
“We might be able to wrap it up this week and if we do that’d be nice. But I can’t promise anything.”
The main contenders for the position seem to be Devils assistant coach Adam Oates, former Blackhawks assistant coach Mike Haviland, and AHL Norfolk head coach Jon Cooper.
“They’re really good candidates,” McPhee said. “The hard part is picking the best one or the best fit because they’re all terrific. I’ve really enjoyed meeting these people and spending time with them.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)