Jun 23, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT
Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington is reporting that Capitals GM George McPhee has completed the interviews for the Washington Capitals’ vacant coaching gig. As a result, we might find out who Dale Hunter’s replacement will be as early as next week.
“I might be leaning one way,” McPhee said. “We’ll see. I’ve got a few more questions to ask next week, not of these people, but of people who know them.
“We might be able to wrap it up this week and if we do that’d be nice. But I can’t promise anything.”
The main contenders for the position seem to be Devils assistant coach Adam Oates, former Blackhawks assistant coach Mike Haviland, and AHL Norfolk head coach Jon Cooper.
“They’re really good candidates,” McPhee said. “The hard part is picking the best one or the best fit because they’re all terrific. I’ve really enjoyed meeting these people and spending time with them.”
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 42
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)