Jun 23, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
We’re about a week away from the start of the unrestricted free agent market and the New Jersey Devils are still in limbo as far as their goaltending situation is concerned. According to a report by the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti, Martin Brodeur and Johan Hedberg still haven’t confirmed that they want to play next season.
Both of their contracts are set to expire on July 1 and Hedberg is the younger of the two at the age of 39. It’s not hard to see why there has been speculation that one or both of them might decide to retire, but it’s much too early for Devils fans to panic.
Although there’s always a chance that he’ll change his mind, Brodeur was heavily leaning towards continuing his career during the Devils’ playoff run. Based on another report from the Bergen Record, Hedberg also seemed open to the idea of re-signing with the New Jersey Devils just a couple of weeks ago.
So while it’s true that anything could happen, there’s reason to like New Jersey’s odds of maintaining the status quo between the pipes — at least for one more year. However, if Devils fans want something to worry about, there’s always Zach Parise…
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)