Jun 23, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
We’re about a week away from the start of the unrestricted free agent market and the New Jersey Devils are still in limbo as far as their goaltending situation is concerned. According to a report by the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti, Martin Brodeur and Johan Hedberg still haven’t confirmed that they want to play next season.
Both of their contracts are set to expire on July 1 and Hedberg is the younger of the two at the age of 39. It’s not hard to see why there has been speculation that one or both of them might decide to retire, but it’s much too early for Devils fans to panic.
Although there’s always a chance that he’ll change his mind, Brodeur was heavily leaning towards continuing his career during the Devils’ playoff run. Based on another report from the Bergen Record, Hedberg also seemed open to the idea of re-signing with the New Jersey Devils just a couple of weeks ago.
So while it’s true that anything could happen, there’s reason to like New Jersey’s odds of maintaining the status quo between the pipes — at least for one more year. However, if Devils fans want something to worry about, there’s always Zach Parise…
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 0
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)