Jun 23, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
We’re about a week away from the start of the unrestricted free agent market and the New Jersey Devils are still in limbo as far as their goaltending situation is concerned. According to a report by the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti, Martin Brodeur and Johan Hedberg still haven’t confirmed that they want to play next season.
Both of their contracts are set to expire on July 1 and Hedberg is the younger of the two at the age of 39. It’s not hard to see why there has been speculation that one or both of them might decide to retire, but it’s much too early for Devils fans to panic.
Although there’s always a chance that he’ll change his mind, Brodeur was heavily leaning towards continuing his career during the Devils’ playoff run. Based on another report from the Bergen Record, Hedberg also seemed open to the idea of re-signing with the New Jersey Devils just a couple of weeks ago.
So while it’s true that anything could happen, there’s reason to like New Jersey’s odds of maintaining the status quo between the pipes — at least for one more year. However, if Devils fans want something to worry about, there’s always Zach Parise…
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 66
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (66)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)