Jun 23, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
We’re about a week away from the start of the unrestricted free agent market and the New Jersey Devils are still in limbo as far as their goaltending situation is concerned. According to a report by the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti, Martin Brodeur and Johan Hedberg still haven’t confirmed that they want to play next season.
Both of their contracts are set to expire on July 1 and Hedberg is the younger of the two at the age of 39. It’s not hard to see why there has been speculation that one or both of them might decide to retire, but it’s much too early for Devils fans to panic.
Although there’s always a chance that he’ll change his mind, Brodeur was heavily leaning towards continuing his career during the Devils’ playoff run. Based on another report from the Bergen Record, Hedberg also seemed open to the idea of re-signing with the New Jersey Devils just a couple of weeks ago.
So while it’s true that anything could happen, there’s reason to like New Jersey’s odds of maintaining the status quo between the pipes — at least for one more year. However, if Devils fans want something to worry about, there’s always Zach Parise…
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)