Jun 23, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
We’re about a week away from the start of the unrestricted free agent market and the New Jersey Devils are still in limbo as far as their goaltending situation is concerned. According to a report by the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti, Martin Brodeur and Johan Hedberg still haven’t confirmed that they want to play next season.
Both of their contracts are set to expire on July 1 and Hedberg is the younger of the two at the age of 39. It’s not hard to see why there has been speculation that one or both of them might decide to retire, but it’s much too early for Devils fans to panic.
Although there’s always a chance that he’ll change his mind, Brodeur was heavily leaning towards continuing his career during the Devils’ playoff run. Based on another report from the Bergen Record, Hedberg also seemed open to the idea of re-signing with the New Jersey Devils just a couple of weeks ago.
So while it’s true that anything could happen, there’s reason to like New Jersey’s odds of maintaining the status quo between the pipes — at least for one more year. However, if Devils fans want something to worry about, there’s always Zach Parise…
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)