Jun 23, 2012, 6:40 PM EST
This was a great weekend for brothers in the NHL. First the Pittsburgh Penguins traded Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes. Jordan, who be given the chance to play on the same team with his brother Eric, remarked that it “doesn’t happen often in the NHL.”
Well, it will be more common next season because on Saturday, the Toronto Maple Leafs shipped Luke Schenn to Philadelphia in exchange for James van Riemsdyk. In the process, the Philadelphia Flyers managed to unite Luke with his brother Brayden Schenn.
“Since I joined the NHL, I’ve always been asked the question about what it’s like playing against your brother. Now, I’ll get to see what it feels like the play with him,” Brayden told the Philadelphia Daily News. “I was real surprised when I found out. Luke called me to tell me he was going to be a part of the Flyers. I’m excited and stunned.
“It’s been a dream since we were kids. We always wondered if we would get the chance. We’re just lucky enough to do it so early in our careers.”
Luke is just 22 and signed through the 2015-16 season. Brayden will turn 21 in August and isn’t set to become a restricted free agent until the summer of 2014. It they both live up to expectations, then they might be able to stay together for the rest of their careers.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)