Jun 23, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
This was a great weekend for brothers in the NHL. First the Pittsburgh Penguins traded Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes. Jordan, who be given the chance to play on the same team with his brother Eric, remarked that it “doesn’t happen often in the NHL.”
Well, it will be more common next season because on Saturday, the Toronto Maple Leafs shipped Luke Schenn to Philadelphia in exchange for James van Riemsdyk. In the process, the Philadelphia Flyers managed to unite Luke with his brother Brayden Schenn.
“Since I joined the NHL, I’ve always been asked the question about what it’s like playing against your brother. Now, I’ll get to see what it feels like the play with him,” Brayden told the Philadelphia Daily News. “I was real surprised when I found out. Luke called me to tell me he was going to be a part of the Flyers. I’m excited and stunned.
“It’s been a dream since we were kids. We always wondered if we would get the chance. We’re just lucky enough to do it so early in our careers.”
Luke is just 22 and signed through the 2015-16 season. Brayden will turn 21 in August and isn’t set to become a restricted free agent until the summer of 2014. It they both live up to expectations, then they might be able to stay together for the rest of their careers.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)