Jun 23, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
This was a great weekend for brothers in the NHL. First the Pittsburgh Penguins traded Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes. Jordan, who be given the chance to play on the same team with his brother Eric, remarked that it “doesn’t happen often in the NHL.”
Well, it will be more common next season because on Saturday, the Toronto Maple Leafs shipped Luke Schenn to Philadelphia in exchange for James van Riemsdyk. In the process, the Philadelphia Flyers managed to unite Luke with his brother Brayden Schenn.
“Since I joined the NHL, I’ve always been asked the question about what it’s like playing against your brother. Now, I’ll get to see what it feels like the play with him,” Brayden told the Philadelphia Daily News. “I was real surprised when I found out. Luke called me to tell me he was going to be a part of the Flyers. I’m excited and stunned.
“It’s been a dream since we were kids. We always wondered if we would get the chance. We’re just lucky enough to do it so early in our careers.”
Luke is just 22 and signed through the 2015-16 season. Brayden will turn 21 in August and isn’t set to become a restricted free agent until the summer of 2014. It they both live up to expectations, then they might be able to stay together for the rest of their careers.
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 5
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 7
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)