Jun 23, 2012, 6:40 PM EST
This was a great weekend for brothers in the NHL. First the Pittsburgh Penguins traded Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes. Jordan, who be given the chance to play on the same team with his brother Eric, remarked that it “doesn’t happen often in the NHL.”
Well, it will be more common next season because on Saturday, the Toronto Maple Leafs shipped Luke Schenn to Philadelphia in exchange for James van Riemsdyk. In the process, the Philadelphia Flyers managed to unite Luke with his brother Brayden Schenn.
“Since I joined the NHL, I’ve always been asked the question about what it’s like playing against your brother. Now, I’ll get to see what it feels like the play with him,” Brayden told the Philadelphia Daily News. “I was real surprised when I found out. Luke called me to tell me he was going to be a part of the Flyers. I’m excited and stunned.
“It’s been a dream since we were kids. We always wondered if we would get the chance. We’re just lucky enough to do it so early in our careers.”
Luke is just 22 and signed through the 2015-16 season. Brayden will turn 21 in August and isn’t set to become a restricted free agent until the summer of 2014. It they both live up to expectations, then they might be able to stay together for the rest of their careers.
- Devils fire DeBoer 4
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 1
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 7
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)