Jun 23, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
This was a great weekend for brothers in the NHL. First the Pittsburgh Penguins traded Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes. Jordan, who be given the chance to play on the same team with his brother Eric, remarked that it “doesn’t happen often in the NHL.”
Well, it will be more common next season because on Saturday, the Toronto Maple Leafs shipped Luke Schenn to Philadelphia in exchange for James van Riemsdyk. In the process, the Philadelphia Flyers managed to unite Luke with his brother Brayden Schenn.
“Since I joined the NHL, I’ve always been asked the question about what it’s like playing against your brother. Now, I’ll get to see what it feels like the play with him,” Brayden told the Philadelphia Daily News. “I was real surprised when I found out. Luke called me to tell me he was going to be a part of the Flyers. I’m excited and stunned.
“It’s been a dream since we were kids. We always wondered if we would get the chance. We’re just lucky enough to do it so early in our careers.”
Luke is just 22 and signed through the 2015-16 season. Brayden will turn 21 in August and isn’t set to become a restricted free agent until the summer of 2014. It they both live up to expectations, then they might be able to stay together for the rest of their careers.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)