Jun 23, 2012, 10:23 AM EST
The 21-year-old is coming off a challenging season, missing 24 games thanks to injury and scoring just 14 goals and 14 assists while seeing his minutes cut and landing in coach Joe Sacco’s doghouse.
Ideally a player with Duchene’s talent and youth — he was a Calder Trophy finalist in 2010 — would wind up getting a longer contract, but the two sides opted to go the shorter route. Adrian Dater of The Denver Post says the move doesn’t quite shock him, but it did pique his curiosity.
Am I a little surprised the contract was so short, and for not that much of a raise from what he was making before? Well, nothing truly surprises me anymore in this game, but I guess I thought it would be longer and for more money.
Is Duchene taking a hometown discount, as Dater suggests, or is there more beneath the surface here? At a $3.5 million cap hit, he’s certainly a lot more attractive on the trade market. Could this be a Kyle Turris situation?
Duchene will become a restricted free agent after his contract is up.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)