Jun 23, 2012, 9:04 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have an enviable group of young, skill players that includes Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and now Nail Yakupov. If those four players develop as projected, the Oilers will beat most teams in that department.
With that on mind, Edmonton entered the second half of the draft on Saturday with the objective of adding big players to compliment their core.
“We talked about how do we get these people,” said Oilers GM Steve Tambellini in a Sportsnet report. “Once in a while you may make a trade to get some size that has the skill to play with your top six or nine — once in a while. But more often than not, nine out of 10, you have to draft these people and develop them.
“So that was a major goal of ours coming into this draft and we think we accomplished that.”
They did so by taking guys like Mitchell Moroz with the 32nd overall pick and Daniil Zhakov in the third round. Both are big forwards who might be valuable additions to the Oilers down the road.
Edmonton’s rebuild seems to be coming along nicely, although they still might have trouble competing for a playoff spot next season.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)