Jun 22, 2012, 7:22 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers went the safe route, selecting Nail Yakupov from the Sarnia String first overall in Friday’s NHL Entry Draft.
The Russian winger was the consensus top prospect among draft-watchers, though there was talk the Oilers could throw a changeup and select a defenseman like Ryan Murray.
Yakupov has been compared to another Russian star, Pavel Bure, for his speed and scoring ability. (For PHT’s draft profile, click here.)
The Oilers now find themselves with an abundance of top-six forwards. So now that we’ve stopped speculating about who they’ll pick first, we can start speculating where Sam Gagner will be traded.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)