Jun 22, 2012, 7:22 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers went the safe route, selecting Nail Yakupov from the Sarnia String first overall in Friday’s NHL Entry Draft.
The Russian winger was the consensus top prospect among draft-watchers, though there was talk the Oilers could throw a changeup and select a defenseman like Ryan Murray.
Yakupov has been compared to another Russian star, Pavel Bure, for his speed and scoring ability. (For PHT’s draft profile, click here.)
The Oilers now find themselves with an abundance of top-six forwards. So now that we’ve stopped speculating about who they’ll pick first, we can start speculating where Sam Gagner will be traded.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 0
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 13
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 18
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 15
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 50
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 47
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35