Jun 22, 2012, 7:22 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers went the safe route, selecting Nail Yakupov from the Sarnia String first overall in Friday’s NHL Entry Draft.
The Russian winger was the consensus top prospect among draft-watchers, though there was talk the Oilers could throw a changeup and select a defenseman like Ryan Murray.
Yakupov has been compared to another Russian star, Pavel Bure, for his speed and scoring ability. (For PHT’s draft profile, click here.)
The Oilers now find themselves with an abundance of top-six forwards. So now that we’ve stopped speculating about who they’ll pick first, we can start speculating where Sam Gagner will be traded.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 5
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 2
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 11
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2