Jun 22, 2012, 4:08 PM EDT
“He has given me a complete waiver of his no-trade clause,” said Chiarelli. “He gave this to me a week-and-a-half ago. In that sense, he’s being cooperative if we do decide to trade him. It may not make much of a difference, because the no-trade clause is gone at the end of the month.”
Chiarelli says teams have contacted him about acquiring Thomas — but only as a procedural move to get to the salary cap floor. He didn’t say what teams were interested but, if you want to play Columbo, you can go to Capgeek.com and see that the Avalanche, Predators, Coyotes, Jets and Islanders project to be the bottom five teams in terms of salary next year.
The cap floor estimates to be around $54 million in 2012-13.
Based on Chiarelli’s statement, it appears Thomas is still committed to a year-long sabbatical regardless of what organization he’s part of. The team that acquires him might try to convince him to play next season, but for now it appears the former Conn Smythe and two-time Vezina winner is nothing more than a cap hit.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 32
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)