Jun 22, 2012, 4:08 PM EDT
“He has given me a complete waiver of his no-trade clause,” said Chiarelli. “He gave this to me a week-and-a-half ago. In that sense, he’s being cooperative if we do decide to trade him. It may not make much of a difference, because the no-trade clause is gone at the end of the month.”
Chiarelli says teams have contacted him about acquiring Thomas — but only as a procedural move to get to the salary cap floor. He didn’t say what teams were interested but, if you want to play Columbo, you can go to Capgeek.com and see that the Avalanche, Predators, Coyotes, Jets and Islanders project to be the bottom five teams in terms of salary next year.
The cap floor estimates to be around $54 million in 2012-13.
Based on Chiarelli’s statement, it appears Thomas is still committed to a year-long sabbatical regardless of what organization he’s part of. The team that acquires him might try to convince him to play next season, but for now it appears the former Conn Smythe and two-time Vezina winner is nothing more than a cap hit.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)