Jun 22, 2012, 8:10 AM EDT
Ottawa has reportedly offered Mika Zibanejad, Ben Bishop, and Nick Foligno for Rick Nash. That might not be enough to peel Nash away from the Columbus Blue Jackets, but given that Zibanejad is arguably their top prospect, it’s certainly a start.
Based on the Sun’s report, Ottawa is willing to toss in their first round pick to seal the deal. However, before the Senators can move forward, they need to confirm that Nash is willing to waive his no-movement clause to come to Ottawa.
“We have talked to them about the availability of Nash. We have said we have interest,” assistant GM Tim Murray said. “With the prospects we have, if we decided to jump in full bore, I think we have as good a package as anybody.”
Nash would certainly get an opportunity to excel in Ottawa. The Senators are a young team on the rise and Nash would probably look good on a line with Jason Spezza. On top of that, Ottawa has a lot of cap space, so Nash’s $7.8 million annual cap hit would be less of a concern for them. This might be a great match if Nash is willing to go to the Canadian capital.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 5
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9