Jun 22, 2012, 8:10 AM EDT
Ottawa has reportedly offered Mika Zibanejad, Ben Bishop, and Nick Foligno for Rick Nash. That might not be enough to peel Nash away from the Columbus Blue Jackets, but given that Zibanejad is arguably their top prospect, it’s certainly a start.
Based on the Sun’s report, Ottawa is willing to toss in their first round pick to seal the deal. However, before the Senators can move forward, they need to confirm that Nash is willing to waive his no-movement clause to come to Ottawa.
“We have talked to them about the availability of Nash. We have said we have interest,” assistant GM Tim Murray said. “With the prospects we have, if we decided to jump in full bore, I think we have as good a package as anybody.”
Nash would certainly get an opportunity to excel in Ottawa. The Senators are a young team on the rise and Nash would probably look good on a line with Jason Spezza. On top of that, Ottawa has a lot of cap space, so Nash’s $7.8 million annual cap hit would be less of a concern for them. This might be a great match if Nash is willing to go to the Canadian capital.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)