Jun 22, 2012, 8:10 AM EDT
Ottawa has reportedly offered Mika Zibanejad, Ben Bishop, and Nick Foligno for Rick Nash. That might not be enough to peel Nash away from the Columbus Blue Jackets, but given that Zibanejad is arguably their top prospect, it’s certainly a start.
Based on the Sun’s report, Ottawa is willing to toss in their first round pick to seal the deal. However, before the Senators can move forward, they need to confirm that Nash is willing to waive his no-movement clause to come to Ottawa.
“We have talked to them about the availability of Nash. We have said we have interest,” assistant GM Tim Murray said. “With the prospects we have, if we decided to jump in full bore, I think we have as good a package as anybody.”
Nash would certainly get an opportunity to excel in Ottawa. The Senators are a young team on the rise and Nash would probably look good on a line with Jason Spezza. On top of that, Ottawa has a lot of cap space, so Nash’s $7.8 million annual cap hit would be less of a concern for them. This might be a great match if Nash is willing to go to the Canadian capital.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 27
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)