Jun 22, 2012, 8:10 AM EDT
Ottawa has reportedly offered Mika Zibanejad, Ben Bishop, and Nick Foligno for Rick Nash. That might not be enough to peel Nash away from the Columbus Blue Jackets, but given that Zibanejad is arguably their top prospect, it’s certainly a start.
Based on the Sun’s report, Ottawa is willing to toss in their first round pick to seal the deal. However, before the Senators can move forward, they need to confirm that Nash is willing to waive his no-movement clause to come to Ottawa.
“We have talked to them about the availability of Nash. We have said we have interest,” assistant GM Tim Murray said. “With the prospects we have, if we decided to jump in full bore, I think we have as good a package as anybody.”
Nash would certainly get an opportunity to excel in Ottawa. The Senators are a young team on the rise and Nash would probably look good on a line with Jason Spezza. On top of that, Ottawa has a lot of cap space, so Nash’s $7.8 million annual cap hit would be less of a concern for them. This might be a great match if Nash is willing to go to the Canadian capital.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 99
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (100)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)