Jun 22, 2012, 8:10 AM EDT
Ottawa has reportedly offered Mika Zibanejad, Ben Bishop, and Nick Foligno for Rick Nash. That might not be enough to peel Nash away from the Columbus Blue Jackets, but given that Zibanejad is arguably their top prospect, it’s certainly a start.
Based on the Sun’s report, Ottawa is willing to toss in their first round pick to seal the deal. However, before the Senators can move forward, they need to confirm that Nash is willing to waive his no-movement clause to come to Ottawa.
“We have talked to them about the availability of Nash. We have said we have interest,” assistant GM Tim Murray said. “With the prospects we have, if we decided to jump in full bore, I think we have as good a package as anybody.”
Nash would certainly get an opportunity to excel in Ottawa. The Senators are a young team on the rise and Nash would probably look good on a line with Jason Spezza. On top of that, Ottawa has a lot of cap space, so Nash’s $7.8 million annual cap hit would be less of a concern for them. This might be a great match if Nash is willing to go to the Canadian capital.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6