Rutherford on Staal trade: “There are maybe two or three other players that are like Jordan Staal. You just can’t find them”
Jun 22, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford spoke with the media following the announcement of the blockbuster trade sending Penguins star Jordan Staal to Carolina. Rutherford says it’s a deal he had to make because of how special a player he feels Staal is.
“I believe this improves our team,” Rutherford said. “There are maybe two or three other players, center ice men, that are like Jordan Staal. You just can’t find them. I don’t see this as a timing thing or a bold move it just happened that he was available to us and we were able to make the deal.”
Rutherford said he let Penguins GM Ray Shero know he was interested in Staal after the season was over, but said he talked to him just after 4 this afternoon and hammered out the deal by 6:45 this evening. These things move fast.
As far as worrying about whether or not Staal will re-sign with Carolina as he’s got free agency coming up next summer, Rutherford isn’t too worried about that.
“For many years the family said the brothers want to play together and now that they’re together I don’t know why you’d go somewhere else.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 5
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 21
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 86
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 81
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 17
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (86)
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)