Rutherford on Staal trade: “There are maybe two or three other players that are like Jordan Staal. You just can’t find them”
Jun 22, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford spoke with the media following the announcement of the blockbuster trade sending Penguins star Jordan Staal to Carolina. Rutherford says it’s a deal he had to make because of how special a player he feels Staal is.
“I believe this improves our team,” Rutherford said. “There are maybe two or three other players, center ice men, that are like Jordan Staal. You just can’t find them. I don’t see this as a timing thing or a bold move it just happened that he was available to us and we were able to make the deal.”
Rutherford said he let Penguins GM Ray Shero know he was interested in Staal after the season was over, but said he talked to him just after 4 this afternoon and hammered out the deal by 6:45 this evening. These things move fast.
As far as worrying about whether or not Staal will re-sign with Carolina as he’s got free agency coming up next summer, Rutherford isn’t too worried about that.
“For many years the family said the brothers want to play together and now that they’re together I don’t know why you’d go somewhere else.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 1
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55