Rutherford on Staal trade: “There are maybe two or three other players that are like Jordan Staal. You just can’t find them”
Jun 22, 2012, 9:37 PM EST
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford spoke with the media following the announcement of the blockbuster trade sending Penguins star Jordan Staal to Carolina. Rutherford says it’s a deal he had to make because of how special a player he feels Staal is.
“I believe this improves our team,” Rutherford said. “There are maybe two or three other players, center ice men, that are like Jordan Staal. You just can’t find them. I don’t see this as a timing thing or a bold move it just happened that he was available to us and we were able to make the deal.”
Rutherford said he let Penguins GM Ray Shero know he was interested in Staal after the season was over, but said he talked to him just after 4 this afternoon and hammered out the deal by 6:45 this evening. These things move fast.
As far as worrying about whether or not Staal will re-sign with Carolina as he’s got free agency coming up next summer, Rutherford isn’t too worried about that.
“For many years the family said the brothers want to play together and now that they’re together I don’t know why you’d go somewhere else.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)