Rutherford on Staal trade: “There are maybe two or three other players that are like Jordan Staal. You just can’t find them”
Jun 22, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford spoke with the media following the announcement of the blockbuster trade sending Penguins star Jordan Staal to Carolina. Rutherford says it’s a deal he had to make because of how special a player he feels Staal is.
“I believe this improves our team,” Rutherford said. “There are maybe two or three other players, center ice men, that are like Jordan Staal. You just can’t find them. I don’t see this as a timing thing or a bold move it just happened that he was available to us and we were able to make the deal.”
Rutherford said he let Penguins GM Ray Shero know he was interested in Staal after the season was over, but said he talked to him just after 4 this afternoon and hammered out the deal by 6:45 this evening. These things move fast.
As far as worrying about whether or not Staal will re-sign with Carolina as he’s got free agency coming up next summer, Rutherford isn’t too worried about that.
“For many years the family said the brothers want to play together and now that they’re together I don’t know why you’d go somewhere else.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 23
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)