Jun 22, 2012, 3:06 PM EST
It’s believed the 10-year deal was worth in the neighborhood of $60 million. However, it’s also believed Staal doesn’t want to spend his entire career as the third center behind Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.
Staal scored 25 goals in 62 games this season, and he did it playing just 1:59 per game on the power play. In contrast, Malkin averaged 4:21 and Crosby 3:52.
It’s not likely Pittsburgh will significantly up its offer, in which case Staal could be on the trade market. The 23-year-old can become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
One potential problem for Shero, should he wish to deal Staal — according to Michael Russo of the StarTribune, Staal won’t sign an extension with any team he’s traded to, save for possibly Carolina where his brother, Eric, plays.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 111
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 94
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 105
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (125)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (114)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (105)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (94)