Jun 22, 2012, 9:07 PM EDT
It seems the Jordan Staal trade might have a domino effect within the Penguins organization.
Rob Rossi of the Tribune-Review reports that GM Ray Shero is trying to clear cap space to go after the Devils captain, who looks as though he’ll become unrestricted at the start of free agency.
Pittsburgh “will make play for Parise if they can move [Paul] Martin, just was told,” Rossi tweeted. “Team trying to clear space to find Crosby a winger.”
The Penguins project to have $10 million in cap space with Martin, $15 million without. Moving him may prove to be difficult, though — in addition to having a no-movement clause and a limited no-trade, Martin is coming off a disappointing year and his contract isn’t up until 2015.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 8
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 27
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)