Jun 22, 2012, 9:07 PM EST
It seems the Jordan Staal trade might have a domino effect within the Penguins organization.
Rob Rossi of the Tribune-Review reports that GM Ray Shero is trying to clear cap space to go after the Devils captain, who looks as though he’ll become unrestricted at the start of free agency.
Pittsburgh “will make play for Parise if they can move [Paul] Martin, just was told,” Rossi tweeted. “Team trying to clear space to find Crosby a winger.”
The Penguins project to have $10 million in cap space with Martin, $15 million without. Moving him may prove to be difficult, though — in addition to having a no-movement clause and a limited no-trade, Martin is coming off a disappointing year and his contract isn’t up until 2015.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8