Jun 22, 2012, 9:07 PM EST
It seems the Jordan Staal trade might have a domino effect within the Penguins organization.
Rob Rossi of the Tribune-Review reports that GM Ray Shero is trying to clear cap space to go after the Devils captain, who looks as though he’ll become unrestricted at the start of free agency.
Pittsburgh “will make play for Parise if they can move [Paul] Martin, just was told,” Rossi tweeted. “Team trying to clear space to find Crosby a winger.”
The Penguins project to have $10 million in cap space with Martin, $15 million without. Moving him may prove to be difficult, though — in addition to having a no-movement clause and a limited no-trade, Martin is coming off a disappointing year and his contract isn’t up until 2015.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)