Jun 22, 2012, 9:07 PM EST
It seems the Jordan Staal trade might have a domino effect within the Penguins organization.
Rob Rossi of the Tribune-Review reports that GM Ray Shero is trying to clear cap space to go after the Devils captain, who looks as though he’ll become unrestricted at the start of free agency.
Pittsburgh “will make play for Parise if they can move [Paul] Martin, just was told,” Rossi tweeted. “Team trying to clear space to find Crosby a winger.”
The Penguins project to have $10 million in cap space with Martin, $15 million without. Moving him may prove to be difficult, though — in addition to having a no-movement clause and a limited no-trade, Martin is coming off a disappointing year and his contract isn’t up until 2015.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)