Jun 22, 2012, 9:07 PM EDT
It seems the Jordan Staal trade might have a domino effect within the Penguins organization.
Rob Rossi of the Tribune-Review reports that GM Ray Shero is trying to clear cap space to go after the Devils captain, who looks as though he’ll become unrestricted at the start of free agency.
Pittsburgh “will make play for Parise if they can move [Paul] Martin, just was told,” Rossi tweeted. “Team trying to clear space to find Crosby a winger.”
The Penguins project to have $10 million in cap space with Martin, $15 million without. Moving him may prove to be difficult, though — in addition to having a no-movement clause and a limited no-trade, Martin is coming off a disappointing year and his contract isn’t up until 2015.
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 4
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 60
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 24
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1