Jun 22, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
According to Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia, the Flyers are looking to make a splash on defense — but not in the way you might think.
More, from Panaccio:
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney is canvassing offers for Yandle. A source told CSNPhilly.com on Friday night that the Flyers would like to get in on Yandle, but so do the Detroit Red Wings and other teams.
One of the Flyers’ greatest needs this summer is shoring up their defense given that Chris Pronger is not expected to play next season with post-concussion syndrome.
Yandle, 25, has a deal that runs through 2015-16 with a $5.25 million cap hit (the Coyotes inked him last July.) It’s fairly comparable to Pronger’s annual $4.9 million cap hit, which could be freed up if Pronger stays on long term injured reserve.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)