Jun 22, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
It might not be the goaltending fix people envisioned, but it’s a start.
Update: Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports three draft picks are going to Flyers, including No. 45 this year.
The deal seemingly puts Bobrovsky in competition with Steve Mason for Columbus’ No. 1 job next season (Mason is on the books for one more year at $2.9 million).
In late April, Columbus GM Scott Howson told Mason the team was “going to have a different look” in goal next season and that someone would likely come in to challenge for the starting gig.
That someone appears to be Bobrovsky.
The 23-year-old Russian had a brief flirtation with the starting gig in Philadelphia prior to Ilya Bryzgalov coming on board. The organization was (at one point) high on the youngster’s potential, but likely want a more veteran presence as Bryz’s backup.
Bobrovsky appeared in 29 games for Philadelphia last year, recording a 14-10-2 record with a 3.02 GAA and .899 save percentage. He has one year left on his entry level deal that pays $1.75 million annually.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 8
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)