Jun 22, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
It might not be the goaltending fix people envisioned, but it’s a start.
Update: Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports three draft picks are going to Flyers, including No. 45 this year.
The deal seemingly puts Bobrovsky in competition with Steve Mason for Columbus’ No. 1 job next season (Mason is on the books for one more year at $2.9 million).
In late April, Columbus GM Scott Howson told Mason the team was “going to have a different look” in goal next season and that someone would likely come in to challenge for the starting gig.
That someone appears to be Bobrovsky.
The 23-year-old Russian had a brief flirtation with the starting gig in Philadelphia prior to Ilya Bryzgalov coming on board. The organization was (at one point) high on the youngster’s potential, but likely want a more veteran presence as Bryz’s backup.
Bobrovsky appeared in 29 games for Philadelphia last year, recording a 14-10-2 record with a 3.02 GAA and .899 save percentage. He has one year left on his entry level deal that pays $1.75 million annually.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)