Jun 22, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
It might not be the goaltending fix people envisioned, but it’s a start.
Update: Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports three draft picks are going to Flyers, including No. 45 this year.
The deal seemingly puts Bobrovsky in competition with Steve Mason for Columbus’ No. 1 job next season (Mason is on the books for one more year at $2.9 million).
In late April, Columbus GM Scott Howson told Mason the team was “going to have a different look” in goal next season and that someone would likely come in to challenge for the starting gig.
That someone appears to be Bobrovsky.
The 23-year-old Russian had a brief flirtation with the starting gig in Philadelphia prior to Ilya Bryzgalov coming on board. The organization was (at one point) high on the youngster’s potential, but likely want a more veteran presence as Bryz’s backup.
Bobrovsky appeared in 29 games for Philadelphia last year, recording a 14-10-2 record with a 3.02 GAA and .899 save percentage. He has one year left on his entry level deal that pays $1.75 million annually.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (64)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)