Jun 22, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
It might not be the goaltending fix people envisioned, but it’s a start.
Update: Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reports three draft picks are going to Flyers, including No. 45 this year.
The deal seemingly puts Bobrovsky in competition with Steve Mason for Columbus’ No. 1 job next season (Mason is on the books for one more year at $2.9 million).
In late April, Columbus GM Scott Howson told Mason the team was “going to have a different look” in goal next season and that someone would likely come in to challenge for the starting gig.
That someone appears to be Bobrovsky.
The 23-year-old Russian had a brief flirtation with the starting gig in Philadelphia prior to Ilya Bryzgalov coming on board. The organization was (at one point) high on the youngster’s potential, but likely want a more veteran presence as Bryz’s backup.
Bobrovsky appeared in 29 games for Philadelphia last year, recording a 14-10-2 record with a 3.02 GAA and .899 save percentage. He has one year left on his entry level deal that pays $1.75 million annually.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)