Jun 22, 2012, 5:48 PM EDT
Earlier today, we passed along notes about St. Louis Blues GM Doug Armstrong’s hopes of adding a top-four defenseman. Jeremy Rutherford reports that they have at least some interest in a guy who would fit that description: pending Florida Panthers free agent Jason Garrison.
Armstrong noted that it would be more likely that the Blues will trade for a free agent blueliner rather than signing one, but that doesn’t mean Garrison wouldn’t fit. After all, they could always acquire his rights before July 1 – which might be just fine with Florida if they decide that his contract demands are excessive.
We can debate Garrison’s merits in his own zone all day, but it’s hard not to gravitate toward his booming slap shot. He might be a mph or five below Zdeno Chara in that category, yet for a Blues team that struggled on the power play, Garrison’s shot could be quite the tonic.
Of course, it’ll all come down to the price being right – both in trade and contract terms. Still, it’s interesting to ponder. How well do you think he’d fit in St. Louis?
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)