Jun 22, 2012, 7:56 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs passed over the likes of Mikhail Grigorenko and Filip Forsberg with the fifth pick of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, instead selecting defenseman Morgan Rielly of the Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL).
Rielly suffered a torn ACL during the 2011-12 season and was able to appear in just 18 games, scoring three goals and adding 15 assists. According to McKeen’s, he’s a “tremendous puck-handler who dips and darts in and out of traffic” and should help a Toronto back end that’s been criticized for its lack of puck-moving ability.
For Rielly’s draft profile, click here.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54