Jun 22, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs passed over the likes of Mikhail Grigorenko and Filip Forsberg with the fifth pick of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, instead selecting defenseman Morgan Rielly of the Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL).
Rielly suffered a torn ACL during the 2011-12 season and was able to appear in just 18 games, scoring three goals and adding 15 assists. According to McKeen’s, he’s a “tremendous puck-handler who dips and darts in and out of traffic” and should help a Toronto back end that’s been criticized for its lack of puck-moving ability.
For Rielly’s draft profile, click here.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7