Jun 22, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs passed over the likes of Mikhail Grigorenko and Filip Forsberg with the fifth pick of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, instead selecting defenseman Morgan Rielly of the Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL).
Rielly suffered a torn ACL during the 2011-12 season and was able to appear in just 18 games, scoring three goals and adding 15 assists. According to McKeen’s, he’s a “tremendous puck-handler who dips and darts in and out of traffic” and should help a Toronto back end that’s been criticized for its lack of puck-moving ability.
For Rielly’s draft profile, click here.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5