Jun 22, 2012, 11:15 PM EDT
The busiest man at the 2012 NHL Draft? Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero.
After orchestrating the Jordan Staal trade and making two first-round selections in Derrick Pouliot and Olli Maatta, Shero went back to the trading game by flipping defensman Zbynek Michalek to Phoenix in exchange for prospect Harrison Ruopp plus a 3rd-round pick this year (81st) and goalie Marc Cheverie.
(Oh yeah, Shero’s also angling for Zach Parise.)
The move represents a homecoming for Michalek, who spent four years in Phoenix following the lockout. The 29-year-old is in the midst of a deal that pays $4 million annually and expires in 2015.
Of note, Michalek had an eight-team no-trade list.
For Phoenix, the move could be seen as a precursor to dealing Keith Yandle, one of the hotter rumors leading up to Friday’s draft. Several team have expressed interest in the 25-year-old All Star defenseman, who has a deal that runs through 2015-16 with a $5.25 million cap hit (the Coyotes inked him last July.)
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)