Jun 22, 2012, 11:15 PM EST
The busiest man at the 2012 NHL Draft? Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero.
After orchestrating the Jordan Staal trade and making two first-round selections in Derrick Pouliot and Olli Maatta, Shero went back to the trading game by flipping defensman Zbynek Michalek to Phoenix in exchange for prospect Harrison Ruopp plus a 3rd-round pick this year (81st) and goalie Marc Cheverie.
(Oh yeah, Shero’s also angling for Zach Parise.)
The move represents a homecoming for Michalek, who spent four years in Phoenix following the lockout. The 29-year-old is in the midst of a deal that pays $4 million annually and expires in 2015.
Of note, Michalek had an eight-team no-trade list.
For Phoenix, the move could be seen as a precursor to dealing Keith Yandle, one of the hotter rumors leading up to Friday’s draft. Several team have expressed interest in the 25-year-old All Star defenseman, who has a deal that runs through 2015-16 with a $5.25 million cap hit (the Coyotes inked him last July.)
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)