Jun 22, 2012, 8:17 PM EST
With the city of Pittsburgh hosting the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, some thought Pens GM Ray Shero might make a bold move in front of the hometown fans.
He did just that.
The Penguins shook up the evening by trading C Jordan Staal to Carolina in exchange for the eighth overall pick, C Brandon Sutter and D Brian Dumoulin, who Carolina took 51st overall at the 2009 draft.
The marquee name of the deal is obviously Staal, the 23-year-old center who’ll head to the ‘Canes and play alongside his brother, Eric. Staal had 50 points in 63 games last year (including 25 goals) and was outstanding in Pittsburgh’s six-game opening round loss to Philly in the playoffs, scoring nine points (including six goals.)
That said, the ransom Carolina paid to acquire Staal was massive — Sutter was one of the Canes’ brightest young stars and had signed a three-year, $6.2 million extension with the club in July 2011. He hasn’t missed a game over the last two years and averaged 17 goals over the last three.
In addition to Sutter, Pittsburgh also gains the services of Dumoulin — who in April won the Frozen Four with Boston College — and got the eighth overall pick, which the Penguins used to select Portland Winterhawks defenseman Derrick Pouliot.
An emotional Ray Shero thanked Staal for his six years of service to the club prior to selecting Pouliot. That was preceded by a massive reaction from the Consol Energy Center faithful upon learning of the deal.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 9
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 14
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)