Jun 22, 2012, 8:17 PM EST
With the city of Pittsburgh hosting the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, some thought Pens GM Ray Shero might make a bold move in front of the hometown fans.
He did just that.
The Penguins shook up the evening by trading C Jordan Staal to Carolina in exchange for the eighth overall pick, C Brandon Sutter and D Brian Dumoulin, who Carolina took 51st overall at the 2009 draft.
The marquee name of the deal is obviously Staal, the 23-year-old center who’ll head to the ‘Canes and play alongside his brother, Eric. Staal had 50 points in 63 games last year (including 25 goals) and was outstanding in Pittsburgh’s six-game opening round loss to Philly in the playoffs, scoring nine points (including six goals.)
That said, the ransom Carolina paid to acquire Staal was massive — Sutter was one of the Canes’ brightest young stars and had signed a three-year, $6.2 million extension with the club in July 2011. He hasn’t missed a game over the last two years and averaged 17 goals over the last three.
In addition to Sutter, Pittsburgh also gains the services of Dumoulin — who in April won the Frozen Four with Boston College — and got the eighth overall pick, which the Penguins used to select Portland Winterhawks defenseman Derrick Pouliot.
An emotional Ray Shero thanked Staal for his six years of service to the club prior to selecting Pouliot. That was preceded by a massive reaction from the Consol Energy Center faithful upon learning of the deal.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)