Jun 22, 2012, 8:17 PM EDT
With the city of Pittsburgh hosting the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, some thought Pens GM Ray Shero might make a bold move in front of the hometown fans.
He did just that.
The Penguins shook up the evening by trading C Jordan Staal to Carolina in exchange for the eighth overall pick, C Brandon Sutter and D Brian Dumoulin, who Carolina took 51st overall at the 2009 draft.
The marquee name of the deal is obviously Staal, the 23-year-old center who’ll head to the ‘Canes and play alongside his brother, Eric. Staal had 50 points in 63 games last year (including 25 goals) and was outstanding in Pittsburgh’s six-game opening round loss to Philly in the playoffs, scoring nine points (including six goals.)
That said, the ransom Carolina paid to acquire Staal was massive — Sutter was one of the Canes’ brightest young stars and had signed a three-year, $6.2 million extension with the club in July 2011. He hasn’t missed a game over the last two years and averaged 17 goals over the last three.
In addition to Sutter, Pittsburgh also gains the services of Dumoulin — who in April won the Frozen Four with Boston College — and got the eighth overall pick, which the Penguins used to select Portland Winterhawks defenseman Derrick Pouliot.
An emotional Ray Shero thanked Staal for his six years of service to the club prior to selecting Pouliot. That was preceded by a massive reaction from the Consol Energy Center faithful upon learning of the deal.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)