Jun 22, 2012, 10:38 PM EST
The Penguins are going out of their way to steal headlines at the draft. From trading away Jordan Staal to Carolina to looking to get in the mix for Zach Parise, GM Ray Shero is doing work. You can now add Ryan Suter to their list of interests.
Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports the Penguins are trying hard to acquire the rights to Nashville’s soon-to-be free agent defenseman ahead of July 1. Rossi helps us remember that this is similar to what the Penguins did two years ago with then free agent Dan Hamhuis.
Suter, of course, is set to cash in big time in free agency but Predators GM David Poile has made it a point to say he doesn’t want to deal Suter’s rights before July 1 but realizes Suter will test out free agency. Perhaps Shero thinks he can help Poile see the potential reality of the situation, that being Suter won’t be coming back to Nashville once everyone starts throwing money his way.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 1
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 17
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 14
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)