Jun 22, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
The Penguins are going out of their way to steal headlines at the draft. From trading away Jordan Staal to Carolina to looking to get in the mix for Zach Parise, GM Ray Shero is doing work. You can now add Ryan Suter to their list of interests.
Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports the Penguins are trying hard to acquire the rights to Nashville’s soon-to-be free agent defenseman ahead of July 1. Rossi helps us remember that this is similar to what the Penguins did two years ago with then free agent Dan Hamhuis.
Suter, of course, is set to cash in big time in free agency but Predators GM David Poile has made it a point to say he doesn’t want to deal Suter’s rights before July 1 but realizes Suter will test out free agency. Perhaps Shero thinks he can help Poile see the potential reality of the situation, that being Suter won’t be coming back to Nashville once everyone starts throwing money his way.
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 11
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 8
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 33
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 57
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 88
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead