Jun 22, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
The Penguins are going out of their way to steal headlines at the draft. From trading away Jordan Staal to Carolina to looking to get in the mix for Zach Parise, GM Ray Shero is doing work. You can now add Ryan Suter to their list of interests.
Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports the Penguins are trying hard to acquire the rights to Nashville’s soon-to-be free agent defenseman ahead of July 1. Rossi helps us remember that this is similar to what the Penguins did two years ago with then free agent Dan Hamhuis.
Suter, of course, is set to cash in big time in free agency but Predators GM David Poile has made it a point to say he doesn’t want to deal Suter’s rights before July 1 but realizes Suter will test out free agency. Perhaps Shero thinks he can help Poile see the potential reality of the situation, that being Suter won’t be coming back to Nashville once everyone starts throwing money his way.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 34
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10