Jun 22, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
The Penguins are going out of their way to steal headlines at the draft. From trading away Jordan Staal to Carolina to looking to get in the mix for Zach Parise, GM Ray Shero is doing work. You can now add Ryan Suter to their list of interests.
Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports the Penguins are trying hard to acquire the rights to Nashville’s soon-to-be free agent defenseman ahead of July 1. Rossi helps us remember that this is similar to what the Penguins did two years ago with then free agent Dan Hamhuis.
Suter, of course, is set to cash in big time in free agency but Predators GM David Poile has made it a point to say he doesn’t want to deal Suter’s rights before July 1 but realizes Suter will test out free agency. Perhaps Shero thinks he can help Poile see the potential reality of the situation, that being Suter won’t be coming back to Nashville once everyone starts throwing money his way.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 1
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)