Jun 22, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
The Penguins are going out of their way to steal headlines at the draft. From trading away Jordan Staal to Carolina to looking to get in the mix for Zach Parise, GM Ray Shero is doing work. You can now add Ryan Suter to their list of interests.
Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports the Penguins are trying hard to acquire the rights to Nashville’s soon-to-be free agent defenseman ahead of July 1. Rossi helps us remember that this is similar to what the Penguins did two years ago with then free agent Dan Hamhuis.
Suter, of course, is set to cash in big time in free agency but Predators GM David Poile has made it a point to say he doesn’t want to deal Suter’s rights before July 1 but realizes Suter will test out free agency. Perhaps Shero thinks he can help Poile see the potential reality of the situation, that being Suter won’t be coming back to Nashville once everyone starts throwing money his way.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 11
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 28
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 17
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 57
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39