Jun 22, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Ondrej Pavelec is scheduled to become a restricted free agents and it looks like a KHL team might be able to lure him away.
The Pavelec situation is still unresolved, but the Winnipeg Free Press is reporting that the one option not on the table is a trade. If Pavelec wants to play in the NHL, it will probably be with the Winnipeg Jets.
For the moment, it looks like Pavelec’s agent, Allen Walsh, is attempting to use the KHL offer to get the Jets to sweeten their proposed contract extension. Pavelec is believed to be seeking a four-year deal worth about $17 million, while the Jets are countering with a three-year, $12 million contract. Assuming those terms are roughly accurate, it certainly looks like the two sides are close enough to eventually get a deal done.
Pavelec had a hot-and-cold campaign that left him with a 2.91 GAA and .906 save percentage in 68 games. That’s a noticeable step down from what he did in the Atlanta Thrashers’ final season.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)