Jun 22, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Ondrej Pavelec is scheduled to become a restricted free agents and it looks like a KHL team might be able to lure him away.
The Pavelec situation is still unresolved, but the Winnipeg Free Press is reporting that the one option not on the table is a trade. If Pavelec wants to play in the NHL, it will probably be with the Winnipeg Jets.
For the moment, it looks like Pavelec’s agent, Allen Walsh, is attempting to use the KHL offer to get the Jets to sweeten their proposed contract extension. Pavelec is believed to be seeking a four-year deal worth about $17 million, while the Jets are countering with a three-year, $12 million contract. Assuming those terms are roughly accurate, it certainly looks like the two sides are close enough to eventually get a deal done.
Pavelec had a hot-and-cold campaign that left him with a 2.91 GAA and .906 save percentage in 68 games. That’s a noticeable step down from what he did in the Atlanta Thrashers’ final season.
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 5
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 28
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 87
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 60
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 98
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (98)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (87)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months