Jun 22, 2012, 9:42 AM EST
Ondrej Pavelec is scheduled to become a restricted free agents and it looks like a KHL team might be able to lure him away.
The Pavelec situation is still unresolved, but the Winnipeg Free Press is reporting that the one option not on the table is a trade. If Pavelec wants to play in the NHL, it will probably be with the Winnipeg Jets.
For the moment, it looks like Pavelec’s agent, Allen Walsh, is attempting to use the KHL offer to get the Jets to sweeten their proposed contract extension. Pavelec is believed to be seeking a four-year deal worth about $17 million, while the Jets are countering with a three-year, $12 million contract. Assuming those terms are roughly accurate, it certainly looks like the two sides are close enough to eventually get a deal done.
Pavelec had a hot-and-cold campaign that left him with a 2.91 GAA and .906 save percentage in 68 games. That’s a noticeable step down from what he did in the Atlanta Thrashers’ final season.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 48
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (49)