Jun 22, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Ondrej Pavelec is scheduled to become a restricted free agents and it looks like a KHL team might be able to lure him away.
The Pavelec situation is still unresolved, but the Winnipeg Free Press is reporting that the one option not on the table is a trade. If Pavelec wants to play in the NHL, it will probably be with the Winnipeg Jets.
For the moment, it looks like Pavelec’s agent, Allen Walsh, is attempting to use the KHL offer to get the Jets to sweeten their proposed contract extension. Pavelec is believed to be seeking a four-year deal worth about $17 million, while the Jets are countering with a three-year, $12 million contract. Assuming those terms are roughly accurate, it certainly looks like the two sides are close enough to eventually get a deal done.
Pavelec had a hot-and-cold campaign that left him with a 2.91 GAA and .906 save percentage in 68 games. That’s a noticeable step down from what he did in the Atlanta Thrashers’ final season.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 29
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)