Jun 22, 2012, 3:33 PM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets might wait until the last minute to trade their second overall draft pick Friday in Pittsburgh.
Not that Scott Howson will definitely do that, but according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, the Jackets’ GM is fielding lots of calls about the second pick and “seems almost excited to trade it.”
Howson tells Portzline “it’s going to depend a little with what goes on with the first pick before we can make a decision.”
Obviously Howson won’t know what he’s got to trade until Edmonton makes its selection. The consensus No. 1 prospect is Nail Yakupov, though speculation is growing the Oilers will take defenseman Ryan Murray.
Murray is one of many highly touted blue-liners in the draft, so if the Oilers take Yakupov and Howson wants to draft a defenseman, maybe he’s fine with taking whoever’s still available a few sports later in return for an additional pick or two.
On the other hand, if the Oilers take Murray, Howson’s arguably got a bigger chip to play in Yakupov. Granted, if he plans to trade Rick Nash at some point, he might want to hold on to the talented Russian winger.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 148
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 117
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (148)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (117)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)