Jun 22, 2012, 3:33 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets might wait until the last minute to trade their second overall draft pick Friday in Pittsburgh.
Not that Scott Howson will definitely do that, but according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, the Jackets’ GM is fielding lots of calls about the second pick and “seems almost excited to trade it.”
Howson tells Portzline “it’s going to depend a little with what goes on with the first pick before we can make a decision.”
Obviously Howson won’t know what he’s got to trade until Edmonton makes its selection. The consensus No. 1 prospect is Nail Yakupov, though speculation is growing the Oilers will take defenseman Ryan Murray.
Murray is one of many highly touted blue-liners in the draft, so if the Oilers take Yakupov and Howson wants to draft a defenseman, maybe he’s fine with taking whoever’s still available a few sports later in return for an additional pick or two.
On the other hand, if the Oilers take Murray, Howson’s arguably got a bigger chip to play in Yakupov. Granted, if he plans to trade Rick Nash at some point, he might want to hold on to the talented Russian winger.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 7
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 39
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 62
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)