Jun 22, 2012, 2:11 PM EDT
Columbus GM Scott Howson might not be done addressing his team’s goaltending situation after acquiring Sergei Bobrovsky from Philadelphia, but he accomplished his mission for the draft.
“I wanted to come out of here with a goalie,” Howson told the Columbus Dispatch. “That was really important to me, and the market is shrinking fast. (Josh) Harding signed (in Minnesota), (Anders) Lindback got traded (to Tampa Bay) … the market became pretty scarce. That’s a factor in the price we paid.”
Howson says he’s comfortable heading into the season with Bobrovsky and Steve Mason battling for the starting position.
He also dismissed Bobrovsky’s “not great” numbers (.899 save percentage) in 2011-12 after an impressive rookie season.
“If you remember back to the Winter Classic this year, he was playing better than [Ilya] Bryzgalov,” said Howson. “He had an up and down year. That’s not uncommon for a young goaltender.”
To be sure, Howson would be taking a chance with a Bobrovsky-Mason tandem. But in fairness, what’s the alternative? He could make a play for Roberto Luongo; however, Luongo might not waive his no-trade clause to join the Blue Jackets.
After Luongo, the list of available goalies falls off a cliff in terms of quality. If you’re going to roll the dice, it might as well be on a still-developing 23-year-old.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 2
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)