Jun 22, 2012, 11:41 AM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Tanner Pearson (LW)
Height: 6’0 Weight: 198 Shoots: Left
Team: Barrie (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 25 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
A unique story among highly regarded prospects — this is Pearson’s third year of draft-eligibility but his first as a potential first round pick, thanks to breakout campaign with the OHL’s Barrie Colts.
He had 37 goals and 91 points in 60 contests, good enough for third in the league’s scoring race. He also made Team Canada’s roster for the 2012 World Junior Championships, where he was a point-a-game player.
“Prior to the WJC, Pearson was leading the OHL in scoring. He was instrumental against Team Finland saving his best performance in the final game of the tournament to capture a bronze medal. Pearson’s best weapon is his shot, in particular his lack of back swing on it making it very difficult for goalies to get a read on his actions.
“His skating is average as is his commitment to defense, however in respect to Pearson he did lead the team in plus/minus and showed more effort away from the puck down the stretch. Pearson is highly cerebral in the offensive zone as he can make plays and is even more dangerous with open ice and in PP situations. Pearson’s game offers an offensive dimension that can not be ignored.” — David Burstyn, McKeen’s Hockey
More draft profiles:
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 17
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 28
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)