Jun 22, 2012, 10:18 AM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Dalton Thrower (Defense)
Height: 5′ 11″ Weight: 189 Shoots: Right
Team: Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 26 skater in North America
What kind of player is he?
If you’re looking for a blue-liner with a mix of offense and nastiness, then the guy with the killer name in Dalton Thrower could be your choice. Thrower is a two-way defenseman who put up some great numbers for Saskatoon this season with 18 goals, 36 assists, and 104 penalty minutes. He’s been compared to Kevin Bieksa, and Thrower even says Bieksa is his favorite player.
“He’s a guy who definitely has the ability to move the puck and make the right offensive play. But it’s his willingness to battle and compete and do things that winners do – block shots, get in the way, do whatever it takes, fight if he has to and stand up for his teammates.” – Mark Seidel, chief scout North American Central Scouting.
More draft profiles:
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)