Jun 22, 2012, 10:18 AM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Dalton Thrower (Defense)
Height: 5′ 11″ Weight: 189 Shoots: Right
Team: Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 26 skater in North America
What kind of player is he?
If you’re looking for a blue-liner with a mix of offense and nastiness, then the guy with the killer name in Dalton Thrower could be your choice. Thrower is a two-way defenseman who put up some great numbers for Saskatoon this season with 18 goals, 36 assists, and 104 penalty minutes. He’s been compared to Kevin Bieksa, and Thrower even says Bieksa is his favorite player.
“He’s a guy who definitely has the ability to move the puck and make the right offensive play. But it’s his willingness to battle and compete and do things that winners do – block shots, get in the way, do whatever it takes, fight if he has to and stand up for his teammates.” – Mark Seidel, chief scout North American Central Scouting.
More draft profiles:
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 8
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 32
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)