Jun 22, 2012, 10:18 AM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Dalton Thrower (Defense)
Height: 5′ 11″ Weight: 189 Shoots: Right
Team: Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 26 skater in North America
What kind of player is he?
If you’re looking for a blue-liner with a mix of offense and nastiness, then the guy with the killer name in Dalton Thrower could be your choice. Thrower is a two-way defenseman who put up some great numbers for Saskatoon this season with 18 goals, 36 assists, and 104 penalty minutes. He’s been compared to Kevin Bieksa, and Thrower even says Bieksa is his favorite player.
“He’s a guy who definitely has the ability to move the puck and make the right offensive play. But it’s his willingness to battle and compete and do things that winners do – block shots, get in the way, do whatever it takes, fight if he has to and stand up for his teammates.” – Mark Seidel, chief scout North American Central Scouting.
More draft profiles:
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35