Jun 22, 2012, 10:18 AM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Dalton Thrower (Defense)
Height: 5′ 11″ Weight: 189 Shoots: Right
Team: Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 26 skater in North America
What kind of player is he?
If you’re looking for a blue-liner with a mix of offense and nastiness, then the guy with the killer name in Dalton Thrower could be your choice. Thrower is a two-way defenseman who put up some great numbers for Saskatoon this season with 18 goals, 36 assists, and 104 penalty minutes. He’s been compared to Kevin Bieksa, and Thrower even says Bieksa is his favorite player.
“He’s a guy who definitely has the ability to move the puck and make the right offensive play. But it’s his willingness to battle and compete and do things that winners do – block shots, get in the way, do whatever it takes, fight if he has to and stand up for his teammates.” – Mark Seidel, chief scout North American Central Scouting.
More draft profiles:
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 4
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 47
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 14
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)