Jun 22, 2012, 10:18 AM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Dalton Thrower (Defense)
Height: 5′ 11″ Weight: 189 Shoots: Right
Team: Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 26 skater in North America
What kind of player is he?
If you’re looking for a blue-liner with a mix of offense and nastiness, then the guy with the killer name in Dalton Thrower could be your choice. Thrower is a two-way defenseman who put up some great numbers for Saskatoon this season with 18 goals, 36 assists, and 104 penalty minutes. He’s been compared to Kevin Bieksa, and Thrower even says Bieksa is his favorite player.
“He’s a guy who definitely has the ability to move the puck and make the right offensive play. But it’s his willingness to battle and compete and do things that winners do – block shots, get in the way, do whatever it takes, fight if he has to and stand up for his teammates.” – Mark Seidel, chief scout North American Central Scouting.
More draft profiles:
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4