Jun 22, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Cody Ceci (D)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 207 Shoots: Right
Team: Ottawa 67’s (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 6 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Gifted offensively, Ceci finished second in OHL defenseman scoring to highly-touted Bruins prospect Dougie Hamilton. As you’d expect from a blueliner that piles up points, Ceci is praised for his hockey sense, ability to read plays and jump into the rush. He’s got an NHL-ready frame and solid skating ability.
The intrigue surrounding Ceci stems from his status as a third-year OHLer. That extra year of grooming isn’t going to fast-track him to the NHL, but his learning curve and path to the league might be shorter/smaller than other ’12 draftees.
“Ceci has the Four S’s – size, skill, skating and shot. He played ample minutes this year for the Ottawa 67’s of the OHL and helped them advance to the semi-finals. Despite being physically imposing, he needs to do a better job containing players down low. He has several ingredients that could make him a very serviceable option on a NHL blue line.” — David Burstyn, McKeen’s Hockey Director of Scouting
More draft profiles:
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 13
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 39
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6