Jun 22, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Cody Ceci (D)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 207 Shoots: Right
Team: Ottawa 67’s (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 6 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Gifted offensively, Ceci finished second in OHL defenseman scoring to highly-touted Bruins prospect Dougie Hamilton. As you’d expect from a blueliner that piles up points, Ceci is praised for his hockey sense, ability to read plays and jump into the rush. He’s got an NHL-ready frame and solid skating ability.
The intrigue surrounding Ceci stems from his status as a third-year OHLer. That extra year of grooming isn’t going to fast-track him to the NHL, but his learning curve and path to the league might be shorter/smaller than other ’12 draftees.
“Ceci has the Four S’s – size, skill, skating and shot. He played ample minutes this year for the Ottawa 67’s of the OHL and helped them advance to the semi-finals. Despite being physically imposing, he needs to do a better job containing players down low. He has several ingredients that could make him a very serviceable option on a NHL blue line.” — David Burstyn, McKeen’s Hockey Director of Scouting
More draft profiles:
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 13
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 3
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)