Jun 22, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Cody Ceci (D)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 207 Shoots: Right
Team: Ottawa 67’s (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 6 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Gifted offensively, Ceci finished second in OHL defenseman scoring to highly-touted Bruins prospect Dougie Hamilton. As you’d expect from a blueliner that piles up points, Ceci is praised for his hockey sense, ability to read plays and jump into the rush. He’s got an NHL-ready frame and solid skating ability.
The intrigue surrounding Ceci stems from his status as a third-year OHLer. That extra year of grooming isn’t going to fast-track him to the NHL, but his learning curve and path to the league might be shorter/smaller than other ’12 draftees.
“Ceci has the Four S’s – size, skill, skating and shot. He played ample minutes this year for the Ottawa 67’s of the OHL and helped them advance to the semi-finals. Despite being physically imposing, he needs to do a better job containing players down low. He has several ingredients that could make him a very serviceable option on a NHL blue line.” — David Burstyn, McKeen’s Hockey Director of Scouting
More draft profiles:
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 40
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (40)