Jun 22, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Cody Ceci (D)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 207 Shoots: Right
Team: Ottawa 67’s (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 6 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Gifted offensively, Ceci finished second in OHL defenseman scoring to highly-touted Bruins prospect Dougie Hamilton. As you’d expect from a blueliner that piles up points, Ceci is praised for his hockey sense, ability to read plays and jump into the rush. He’s got an NHL-ready frame and solid skating ability.
The intrigue surrounding Ceci stems from his status as a third-year OHLer. That extra year of grooming isn’t going to fast-track him to the NHL, but his learning curve and path to the league might be shorter/smaller than other ’12 draftees.
“Ceci has the Four S’s – size, skill, skating and shot. He played ample minutes this year for the Ottawa 67’s of the OHL and helped them advance to the semi-finals. Despite being physically imposing, he needs to do a better job containing players down low. He has several ingredients that could make him a very serviceable option on a NHL blue line.” — David Burstyn, McKeen’s Hockey Director of Scouting
More draft profiles:
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)