Jun 22, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Cody Ceci (D)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 207 Shoots: Right
Team: Ottawa 67’s (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 6 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Gifted offensively, Ceci finished second in OHL defenseman scoring to highly-touted Bruins prospect Dougie Hamilton. As you’d expect from a blueliner that piles up points, Ceci is praised for his hockey sense, ability to read plays and jump into the rush. He’s got an NHL-ready frame and solid skating ability.
The intrigue surrounding Ceci stems from his status as a third-year OHLer. That extra year of grooming isn’t going to fast-track him to the NHL, but his learning curve and path to the league might be shorter/smaller than other ’12 draftees.
“Ceci has the Four S’s – size, skill, skating and shot. He played ample minutes this year for the Ottawa 67’s of the OHL and helped them advance to the semi-finals. Despite being physically imposing, he needs to do a better job containing players down low. He has several ingredients that could make him a very serviceable option on a NHL blue line.” — David Burstyn, McKeen’s Hockey Director of Scouting
More draft profiles:
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 11
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 12
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5