Jun 22, 2012, 10:26 AM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Brendan Gaunce (C)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 215 Shoots: Left
Team: Belleville Bulls (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 13 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Want proof that the 2012 NHL Draft might be a little weird? Consult the North American skater rankings — Brendan Gaunce is the highest-ranked Canadian forward at No. 13. You have to wade through a bunch of Russian talent and strong defensemen before arriving at the big center from the Belleville Bulls.
Scouts don’t regard Gaunce as a dazzling skill player. He didn’t put up astounding numbers in the OHL, but could be enticing to mid-level teams because of his size and two-way play. For teams that gravitate toward “character guys” and intangibles, Gaunce is a solid pick. His potential likely ranks between a second or third line center.
He also has a family member in the NHL — his brother, Cameron, is a defenseman in the Colorado organization that played 11 games last season.
“He makes strong decisions with the puck on his stick, and has the ability to place the puck in the right spot of the offensive zone, be it via a pass or by skating it there. He is also one of the strongest positional players available for the draft. He is extremely effective positionally in all three zones, and shows an ability to play a smart, two way game.
“The other aspect of his skill set that impresses is his shot. He has one of the strongest shots in the draft, displaying strong accuracy and speed, but more importantly, a very quick release. He has all of the intangibles that you look for in a future leader at the next level, and looks like a player who will one day be a captain in the NHL.” — Sean Lafortune, The Prospect Blog
More draft profiles:
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 11
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)