Jun 22, 2012, 10:26 AM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Brendan Gaunce (C)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 215 Shoots: Left
Team: Belleville Bulls (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 13 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Want proof that the 2012 NHL Draft might be a little weird? Consult the North American skater rankings — Brendan Gaunce is the highest-ranked Canadian forward at No. 13. You have to wade through a bunch of Russian talent and strong defensemen before arriving at the big center from the Belleville Bulls.
Scouts don’t regard Gaunce as a dazzling skill player. He didn’t put up astounding numbers in the OHL, but could be enticing to mid-level teams because of his size and two-way play. For teams that gravitate toward “character guys” and intangibles, Gaunce is a solid pick. His potential likely ranks between a second or third line center.
He also has a family member in the NHL — his brother, Cameron, is a defenseman in the Colorado organization that played 11 games last season.
“He makes strong decisions with the puck on his stick, and has the ability to place the puck in the right spot of the offensive zone, be it via a pass or by skating it there. He is also one of the strongest positional players available for the draft. He is extremely effective positionally in all three zones, and shows an ability to play a smart, two way game.
“The other aspect of his skill set that impresses is his shot. He has one of the strongest shots in the draft, displaying strong accuracy and speed, but more importantly, a very quick release. He has all of the intangibles that you look for in a future leader at the next level, and looks like a player who will one day be a captain in the NHL.” — Sean Lafortune, The Prospect Blog
More draft profiles:
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 24
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)