Jun 22, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Andrei Vasilevski (G)
Height: 6’3 Weight: 204 Shoots: Right
Team: Tolpa Ufa (KHL Jr.)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 1 among European goalies
What kind of player is he?
He draws comparisons to other big Russian netminders like Ilya Bryzgalov, Semyon Varlamov and Sergei Bobrovsky. Many believe he’s ahead of the curve when it comes to positioning, which is a great sign considering his frame.
Vasilevski managed an astounding .953 save percentage at the World Juniors and put up fantastic individual numbers at Russia’s junior level as well. It’s tough to predict where he’ll go given the current state of the goaltending market (read: flooded) but some projections have him as a low first rounder and quite possibly the first netminder off the board.
“Vasilevski is a terrific athlete with very good bio-mechanics. His balance points and strong core allow him to seal the ice with a very wide, but very powerful butterfly. This is going to make him look extremely attractive to many NHL teams.” — Justin Goldman, via the Edmonton Journal
More draft profiles:
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)