Jun 22, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
Jay Feaster needs to make something happen at the draft, argues the Calgary Sun’s Eric Francis. The Flames’ GM can’t simply show up, announce his picks, and head home.
A trade or two to acquire more picks, run a pricey veteran out of town, acquire more youth and shake up the franchise, energize the fans … something.
Anything but the status quo.
If there’s one team that’s been associated with “status quo” the last few seasons, it’s the Flames. And considering they’ve missed the playoffs three times in a row and haven’t won a playoff series since 2004, that’s not a good thing.
What could Feaster do? Trading defenseman Jay Bouwmeester and “his gawdy US$6.7 million cap hit” is one option, writes Francis.
Despite the fact JayBo’s overpaid by a couple of million, there should still be a market for his services. The 28-year-old logged 25:57 per game in 2011-12, and 29 points isn’t terrible.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off