Jun 22, 2012, 10:58 AM EST
Jay Feaster needs to make something happen at the draft, argues the Calgary Sun’s Eric Francis. The Flames’ GM can’t simply show up, announce his picks, and head home.
A trade or two to acquire more picks, run a pricey veteran out of town, acquire more youth and shake up the franchise, energize the fans … something.
Anything but the status quo.
If there’s one team that’s been associated with “status quo” the last few seasons, it’s the Flames. And considering they’ve missed the playoffs three times in a row and haven’t won a playoff series since 2004, that’s not a good thing.
What could Feaster do? Trading defenseman Jay Bouwmeester and “his gawdy US$6.7 million cap hit” is one option, writes Francis.
Despite the fact JayBo’s overpaid by a couple of million, there should still be a market for his services. The 28-year-old logged 25:57 per game in 2011-12, and 29 points isn’t terrible.
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 0
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 33
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)