Jun 22, 2012, 10:58 AM EST
Jay Feaster needs to make something happen at the draft, argues the Calgary Sun’s Eric Francis. The Flames’ GM can’t simply show up, announce his picks, and head home.
A trade or two to acquire more picks, run a pricey veteran out of town, acquire more youth and shake up the franchise, energize the fans … something.
Anything but the status quo.
If there’s one team that’s been associated with “status quo” the last few seasons, it’s the Flames. And considering they’ve missed the playoffs three times in a row and haven’t won a playoff series since 2004, that’s not a good thing.
What could Feaster do? Trading defenseman Jay Bouwmeester and “his gawdy US$6.7 million cap hit” is one option, writes Francis.
Despite the fact JayBo’s overpaid by a couple of million, there should still be a market for his services. The 28-year-old logged 25:57 per game in 2011-12, and 29 points isn’t terrible.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11