Jun 22, 2012, 10:58 AM EST
Jay Feaster needs to make something happen at the draft, argues the Calgary Sun’s Eric Francis. The Flames’ GM can’t simply show up, announce his picks, and head home.
A trade or two to acquire more picks, run a pricey veteran out of town, acquire more youth and shake up the franchise, energize the fans … something.
Anything but the status quo.
If there’s one team that’s been associated with “status quo” the last few seasons, it’s the Flames. And considering they’ve missed the playoffs three times in a row and haven’t won a playoff series since 2004, that’s not a good thing.
What could Feaster do? Trading defenseman Jay Bouwmeester and “his gawdy US$6.7 million cap hit” is one option, writes Francis.
Despite the fact JayBo’s overpaid by a couple of million, there should still be a market for his services. The 28-year-old logged 25:57 per game in 2011-12, and 29 points isn’t terrible.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)