Jun 22, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
Jay Feaster needs to make something happen at the draft, argues the Calgary Sun’s Eric Francis. The Flames’ GM can’t simply show up, announce his picks, and head home.
A trade or two to acquire more picks, run a pricey veteran out of town, acquire more youth and shake up the franchise, energize the fans … something.
Anything but the status quo.
If there’s one team that’s been associated with “status quo” the last few seasons, it’s the Flames. And considering they’ve missed the playoffs three times in a row and haven’t won a playoff series since 2004, that’s not a good thing.
What could Feaster do? Trading defenseman Jay Bouwmeester and “his gawdy US$6.7 million cap hit” is one option, writes Francis.
Despite the fact JayBo’s overpaid by a couple of million, there should still be a market for his services. The 28-year-old logged 25:57 per game in 2011-12, and 29 points isn’t terrible.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 0
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)