Jun 21, 2012, 4:52 PM EST
Nail Yakupov is commonly regarded as the frontrunner to go first overall in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, but there are dissenters. Some, for example, think that the Edmonton Oilers should select Ryan Murray on the grounds that they need a defenseman more than another skilled forward.
At the end of the day, the only opinions that will matter are those within the Oilers’ organization. Either they’ll choose to trade the pick or, more likely, they’ll hold on to it and draft first overall for the third straight year.
Yakupov doesn’t know if he’ll be picked first overall, but he does have strong opinions on the matter.
“I wanna go number one. No one dreams of going number two. That’s stupid,” Yakupov said, according to TSN’s James Duthie.
Well, I’m going to have to do some soul-searching now that my modest dreams involving silver medals have been invalidated, but it does show that Yakupov aims high. That’s something you hope to see out of a potential top pick, especially one could be part of Edmonton’s ambitious rebuilding efforts.
The Oilers have taken the philosophy of building through the draft to it’s extreme. As a result, if Yakupov ends up with Edmonton, he’ll be joining a young, but hopefully ambitious squad. They’ll have a lot to prove, but most of the core necessary to succeed will be there.
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 49
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (157)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)