Jun 21, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT
Nail Yakupov is commonly regarded as the frontrunner to go first overall in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, but there are dissenters. Some, for example, think that the Edmonton Oilers should select Ryan Murray on the grounds that they need a defenseman more than another skilled forward.
At the end of the day, the only opinions that will matter are those within the Oilers’ organization. Either they’ll choose to trade the pick or, more likely, they’ll hold on to it and draft first overall for the third straight year.
Yakupov doesn’t know if he’ll be picked first overall, but he does have strong opinions on the matter.
“I wanna go number one. No one dreams of going number two. That’s stupid,” Yakupov said, according to TSN’s James Duthie.
Well, I’m going to have to do some soul-searching now that my modest dreams involving silver medals have been invalidated, but it does show that Yakupov aims high. That’s something you hope to see out of a potential top pick, especially one could be part of Edmonton’s ambitious rebuilding efforts.
The Oilers have taken the philosophy of building through the draft to it’s extreme. As a result, if Yakupov ends up with Edmonton, he’ll be joining a young, but hopefully ambitious squad. They’ll have a lot to prove, but most of the core necessary to succeed will be there.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)