Jun 21, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
According to CSNBayArea’s Kevin Kurz, the odds of the San Jose Sharks landing Columbus’ Rick Nash aren’t great. The Blue Jackets are reportedly insisting on the inclusion of Logan Couture in any potential Nash deal, which doesn’t make a ton of sense from San Jose’s perspective.
After all, Couture is much younger, far cheaper, and coming off back-to-back 30-plus goal seasons.
So if the San Jose Sharks have to abandon their pursuit of Nash, what should their next move be? Kurz thinks James van Riemsdyk would make for an intriguing consolation prize.
San Jose was reportedly interested in van Riemsdyk back at the trade deadline and it wouldn’t be surprising if Philadelphia dealt him over the summer. After all, James van Riemsdyk is about to start a six-year $25.5 million deal and getting him off the books would go a long way to ease the Flyers’ cap problems.
It’s safe to assume that van Riemsdyk would be cheaper to obtain than Rick Nash via a trade, but at the same time, the Flyers aren’t likely to send him away if all they’re getting out of it is cap space. van Riemsdyk hasn’t lived up to his potential, but he’s still young. He could certainly break out next year and end up looking good despite his $4.25 million annual cap hit. Philadelphia will probably factor that in.
It’s also worth noting that van Riemsdyk has been rumored to be involved in a potential Rick Nash deal, but as we recently discussed, getting Nash might not be in Philadelphia’s best interests.
At any rate, a van Riemsdyk-to-San Jose deal is certainly an interesting possibility, and just one of the potential stories to keep in mind as we approach the NHL Entry Draft and unrestricted free agent period.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)