Jun 21, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
According to CSNBayArea’s Kevin Kurz, the odds of the San Jose Sharks landing Columbus’ Rick Nash aren’t great. The Blue Jackets are reportedly insisting on the inclusion of Logan Couture in any potential Nash deal, which doesn’t make a ton of sense from San Jose’s perspective.
After all, Couture is much younger, far cheaper, and coming off back-to-back 30-plus goal seasons.
So if the San Jose Sharks have to abandon their pursuit of Nash, what should their next move be? Kurz thinks James van Riemsdyk would make for an intriguing consolation prize.
San Jose was reportedly interested in van Riemsdyk back at the trade deadline and it wouldn’t be surprising if Philadelphia dealt him over the summer. After all, James van Riemsdyk is about to start a six-year $25.5 million deal and getting him off the books would go a long way to ease the Flyers’ cap problems.
It’s safe to assume that van Riemsdyk would be cheaper to obtain than Rick Nash via a trade, but at the same time, the Flyers aren’t likely to send him away if all they’re getting out of it is cap space. van Riemsdyk hasn’t lived up to his potential, but he’s still young. He could certainly break out next year and end up looking good despite his $4.25 million annual cap hit. Philadelphia will probably factor that in.
It’s also worth noting that van Riemsdyk has been rumored to be involved in a potential Rick Nash deal, but as we recently discussed, getting Nash might not be in Philadelphia’s best interests.
At any rate, a van Riemsdyk-to-San Jose deal is certainly an interesting possibility, and just one of the potential stories to keep in mind as we approach the NHL Entry Draft and unrestricted free agent period.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 11
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 17
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)