What they’re saying about the 2012-13 schedule

Jun 21, 2012, 11:59 AM EST

Sidney Crosby Getty Images

As you might imagine, the release of the 2012-13 schedule elicited a lot of reactions from the NHL community. Here’s a sampling of some of the immediate thoughts and facts brought up by hockey writers and staffers on Twitter following the unveiling.

Let’s start out with some good news for the Buffalo Sabres:

“Sabres will play a franchise-low 11 back-to-back sets next year after averaging 20 since 1970 and leading the league in 2010-11 and 2011-12.” — Buffalo Sabres PR staffer Ian Ott

Of course, not every team will be happy with the schedule and the Pittsburgh Penguins might end up feeling like they got a raw deal:

“Pens start season at home on Oct. 12 against the Islanders. Later in the month, they have a very bizarre 6-game road trip … Check out this road trip for Pens: at Ottawa, at Washington, at Columbus, at NJ, at Chicago, at Toronto. That makes a lot of sense … Pens play 12 of 14 games at home late in regular season. Very odd.” — Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

The Chicago Blackhawks schedule looks like a bit of a mixed bag. They do have several lengthy road trips ahead of them, as Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune pointed out. However, the news isn’t all bad:

“‪#Blackhawks‬’ seven-game homestand from Feb. 15-March 1 equals franchise-longs set in 1926-27, 1951-52 and 1969-70.” — Chris Kuc

The Florida Panthers will also enjoy a lengthy homestand:

“‪#FlaPanthers‬ tie a franchise record with a 7-game homestand, Feb. 24-Mar. 10″ — Florida Panthers’ Official Twitter

Finally, here’s a few minor odds and ends:

“Winnipeg doesn’t make trip to ‪#mnwild‬ this season. So much for the momentum of a great rivalry started last year. Lost a sellout too.” — Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune

“Good news for Sens fans: Of the 6 games vs. Toronto this year, only 2x is it the second of a back-to-back for Ottawa. Happened 6x last year.” — Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes

“Devils’ 2012-13 sked is opposite of 2011-12 in that almost all of out of conference travel is in 2nd half.” — Tom Gulitti of the Bergen Record.

1. govtminion - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Interesting to note that Boston has both a seven game homestand (December) AND a seven game road trip (February) in the same season.

2. madtolive5 - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM

why do the pens complain about everything??

• crosberries - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:18 PM

If you mean pens as in a beat writer then yes. Your probably the same person who complained about the writer of the article who simply said Vegas has the pens as favorites next year.

• madtolive5 - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM

yeah you are making my point here….

• crosberries - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Your making more sense with each comment please keep going

• redux12 - Jun 21, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Well considering the caption on the front page of ProHockeyTalk (which last time I checked wasn’t authored by Penguins beat writers) says “Did the Penguins get a raw deal?” the question is valid. Oh no, they start the season with a 6 game road trip and end with 12 of 14 games at home. Life is really freaking tough. Thanks ProPenguinsTalk.

3. murtdurt - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM

When did the pens complain? A best writer did but he never said anyone from the team was upset. You’d be feeling the same way with that road trip it doesn’t really make sense geographically

• buddysguys - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Make sense geographically?? They farthest west they go in that trip is chicago, all the flights they will be taking in between games that trip are no longer than 45 min to an hour. cry about it.

pens would probably leave for the KHL if this happened to them

4. paperkid96 - Jun 21, 2012 at 12:44 PM

The beat writer is looking for anything to talk about. Its 6 straight games away from home, but i would hardly call it a 6 game road trip, in the way that most of us think about it.

Friday Novemeber 2 is probably the only night they wont sleep in their own beds. Everything else is short flights surrounded by off days.

5. tk1966 - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Um, yeah. I read, and re-read the article, an I failed to see even one “cry” or complaint from a Penguin, Pens official or team representative. I guess that means that you are the one crying.

Now put down the stones, son. Its obvious your house is made of glass.

6. miketoasty - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I am more surprised they didn’t mention the 6 road games and then 6 home games in the Pens schedule a little later in the season. That seems a little more odd to me (Not in a bad way or anything just never seen that before).

I also wander what re alignment may do to the schedule as there was supposed to be re alignment this summer since they pushed it back last year.

• crosberries - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Are you wandering or wondering?

7. crosberries - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Another person looking for anything to “cry” about relating to the pens

8. quizguy66 - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I thought one of the weirder quirks with the Devils’ schedule is that they play only 4 home games in December and 4 home games in January before having a whopping 10 at home in February. Guess folks will have a wide variety of Christmas-gift plans to choose from there. There’s also the oddity the only way they’ll be back to L.A. this year is if both teams return to the Stanley Cup Final (not that I would mind that of course :) )

-QG

9. quizguy66 - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Also the Rag$ don’t have a home game unitl November 1st (starting with an 8-game road trip) presumably b/c of the continue renovation of MSG. (They still shoulda just Build MSG #5 but that’s another story).

-QG

10. pajabroni - Jun 21, 2012 at 1:54 PM

It is no secret that when a blog post such as this mentions the Penguins, there is clearly high readership. It was a calculated move to mention the Penguins. As far as a complaint, there just isn’t one. Not even from Josh Yohe. He sarcastically states that it makes sense (regardless of itinerary, it just doesn’t) and that it is odd.

In fact, it is the amateur journalism on behalf of Ryan Dadoun which does the complaining. Its pretty obnoxious that writers on this site make these claims that there “might” be discontentment on behalf of certain teams while not backing up their comments.

It is clearly done to get more comments from readers. You’re all better than this bickering. Realize it.

11. DTF31 - Jun 21, 2012 at 2:38 PM

There is no way an Eastern conference team that leaves its timezone for like 30% of its games “gets a raw deal”

• kopy - Jun 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I logged in to say something like this, but I’m glad you did. Maybe no one asks if the Minnesota Wild got a raw deal because everyone already knows they do. The worst travel schedule in professional sports, thanks to their division. The Wild’s 4 Northwest foes are, on average, 1,060 miles away.

But please, Pittsburgh, tell me more about how Ottawa, Washington, Columbus, NJ, Chicago, and Toronto are so far away from you. Traveling to those cities in order is nothing.

• atwatercrushesokoye - Jun 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Glad you guys hit on it, that 6 game road trip is nowhere near what west teams go through. As far as the Wild having the worst deal, I don’t think so, look at the Jets their division “rivals” are nowhere near where they’re located. And if I’m not mistaken the Canucks (a team that whines more than anyone else about almost everything except their travel) log more miles than anyone else in the league.

• kopy - Jun 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I keep forgetting about Winnipeg, you’re probably right. I know that Minnesota has to travel further for divisional games than Vancouver, since Vancouver is closer to Edmonton/Calgary, but I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if the total travel for the year is greater because they have to go much further to play in each East arena.

12. quizguy66 - Jun 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM

the ontheforecheck blog actually has Dallas with the most travel this season: 49,851. Florida is 2nd with 48,880.

The Wild check in with 43,469 miles. Winnipeg 47,876.

Philadelphia has the least this year with 27,541 miles.

Tampa Bay and Florida are the only 2 Eastern teams above 40,000 miles. Chicago and Detroit are the only two Western teams under 40,000 miles. Interestingly the Coyotes only have 40,858 miles, which is one of the lowest totals in the west.

again the ontheforecheck website has the whole thing but I don’t think post to get deleted. Credit goes to them for the numbers.

-QG

• atwatercrushesokoye - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM

That actually makes sense, Dallas is so far south and they have to travel to Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver each twice per season. I’m a little shocked by Florida although I guess they travelled all the way to Winnipeg twice and I think they played in either Vancouver or Edmonton last year.

Winnipeg probably was lessened by the fact that their division games were part of road trips to lessen the miles rather than just one off games like other teams would do in their division.

13. lostpuppysyndrome - Jun 21, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Totally agree with Russo. What a failure to capitalize on an emerging rivalry between the Jets and the Wild. That game at the X last year was a blast. Fans from both sides had a great time with some good-natured ribbing, and it’s what both teams need. Winnipeg won’t have that same rivalry with any other Canadian teams unless something happens in the playoffs, and the Wild need that fire that has never been lit against other nearby teams such as the Hawks or Blues. I’ve never had so much fun at a Wild game as I did on Feb 15, 2012. REDO THE SCHEDULE! And next year they better darn well be in the same conference/division.

• jrmehle - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Completely agree. It’s criminal that the Wild don’t play Winnipeg at home. I went to 13 games last year and hands down that was the best game of the season I attended. I get chills just thinking about it. I’m considering a road trip up to Winnipeg if I can find tickets.

• lostpuppysyndrome - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I think I’m just gonna have to go to St Louis in Feb. Little longer trip but much cheaper tickets.

• atwatercrushesokoye - Jun 21, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I somewhat agree with you, I think Winnipeg/Minnesota would make a great rivalry. But I disagree with your assessment about Canadian teams, both Calgary and Edmonton have a long history with Winnipeg , in fact throughout the “dead era” of Jets hockey people would show up at Flames games wearing their Jets gear. There’s also a surprising amount of people you see out in this city (Calgary) wearing new Jets gear. The dome was rocking last year when the Jets were here, fans of both teams were really into it. Theres also just general rivalries between the cities, you put 6 games against each other and the rivalries would be very heated.

• lostpuppysyndrome - Jun 22, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Oh I have no doubt about the popularity and the expected rivalry between Winnipeg and Calgary, or any other Canadian team for that matter. The differences though are distance and the assumption/hope that, if and when the NHL finally gets around to realigning the conferences/divisions, Minnesota and Winnipeg will be together, and then the rivalry can really heat up. I’m certain that most Winnipeg fans, at least the ones I’ve spoken to, accept that once the realignment occurs, the chance of being in the same division as another Canadian team is probably pretty slim. The nice thing is, every Canadian team has at least some degree of rivalry with one another that only increases as distances decrease, and it’s one of the best things about NHL hockey IMO.

14. babykaby - Jun 23, 2012 at 5:31 AM

I wonder how many players are checking out the schedule and are pissed off the realignment didn’t happen.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches