Jun 21, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
As the 2012-13 NHL schedule was unveiled and the hockey community began to dissect it, it was hard to ignore the elephant in the room. As a number of outlets, including the NHL.com, pointed out, this new schedule will only be used if the players’ union and the league can agree to a new CBA in time.
So far we’ve gotten very little in the way of hard news regarding any potential negotiations between the two parties. That can be a little worrisome given that there’s less than three months less before the current CBA expires on Sept. 15. Still, the speculation coming from NHL players, GMs, and owners has been largely encouraging.
When NHL commissioner Gary Bettman spoke about the issue recently, he said that he didn’t understand “the degree of negativity.”
Even online bookmaker Bovada doesn’t think the odds of a lockout are very high.
So if you want to be optimistic about the possibility of the NHL season starting on Oct. 11 as planned, then you’d have plenty of company.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)