Jun 21, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
As the 2012-13 NHL schedule was unveiled and the hockey community began to dissect it, it was hard to ignore the elephant in the room. As a number of outlets, including the NHL.com, pointed out, this new schedule will only be used if the players’ union and the league can agree to a new CBA in time.
So far we’ve gotten very little in the way of hard news regarding any potential negotiations between the two parties. That can be a little worrisome given that there’s less than three months less before the current CBA expires on Sept. 15. Still, the speculation coming from NHL players, GMs, and owners has been largely encouraging.
When NHL commissioner Gary Bettman spoke about the issue recently, he said that he didn’t understand “the degree of negativity.”
Even online bookmaker Bovada doesn’t think the odds of a lockout are very high.
So if you want to be optimistic about the possibility of the NHL season starting on Oct. 11 as planned, then you’d have plenty of company.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)