Jun 21, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
Many believe that the San Jose Sharks’ coaching staff lacked NHL experience beyond head coach Todd McLellan. Now they’re set to add a guy who fits that bill, although his most recent experience could probably be described as “harrowing.” Roger Millions reports that the team is on the verge of giving an assistant coaching gig to former Columbus Blue Jackets head coach Scott Arniel.
To be fair to Arniel, he didn’t have nearly as much to work with in Columbus as he would in San Jose – assistant or not. Matthew Taylor does bring up a potential downside, though: if Arniel and Rick Nash left off on bad terms, it wouldn’t help the Sharks’ chances of nabbing the big trade target.
At the same time, Arniel likely deserves some benefit of the doubt, especially since he’d be in an assistant role. This could be the first of a few pivotal moves for a Sharks team that still has plenty of questions to answer this summer.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks