Jun 21, 2012, 3:33 PM EDT
Not that there was really much cause for concern before, but it looks like one way or another, Carey Price will be wearing a Montreal Canadiens’ uniform in 2012-13. According to a recent report from RDS’ Renaud Lavoie, Montreal has filed for salary arbitration with Price.
Price was scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer, but if this report is true, then no NHL team will be allowed to present Price with an offer sheet. At the same time, the Montreal Canadiens can continue to negotiate with Price in the hopes of avoiding arbitration altogether.
Lavoie said that this shouldn’t be taken as a sign that the contract talks between Montreal and Price aren’t going well. Instead, this is likely Montreal simply playing it safe. After all, Price is a vital part of their long-term plans and they don’t want to give opposing teams any opportunity to wrestle him away.
Price is coming off a two-year/$5.5 million contract and he’ll probably end up with a substantial raise.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)