Jun 21, 2012, 3:33 PM EDT
Not that there was really much cause for concern before, but it looks like one way or another, Carey Price will be wearing a Montreal Canadiens’ uniform in 2012-13. According to a recent report from RDS’ Renaud Lavoie, Montreal has filed for salary arbitration with Price.
Price was scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer, but if this report is true, then no NHL team will be allowed to present Price with an offer sheet. At the same time, the Montreal Canadiens can continue to negotiate with Price in the hopes of avoiding arbitration altogether.
Lavoie said that this shouldn’t be taken as a sign that the contract talks between Montreal and Price aren’t going well. Instead, this is likely Montreal simply playing it safe. After all, Price is a vital part of their long-term plans and they don’t want to give opposing teams any opportunity to wrestle him away.
Price is coming off a two-year/$5.5 million contract and he’ll probably end up with a substantial raise.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)