Jun 21, 2012, 3:33 PM EDT
Not that there was really much cause for concern before, but it looks like one way or another, Carey Price will be wearing a Montreal Canadiens’ uniform in 2012-13. According to a recent report from RDS’ Renaud Lavoie, Montreal has filed for salary arbitration with Price.
Price was scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer, but if this report is true, then no NHL team will be allowed to present Price with an offer sheet. At the same time, the Montreal Canadiens can continue to negotiate with Price in the hopes of avoiding arbitration altogether.
Lavoie said that this shouldn’t be taken as a sign that the contract talks between Montreal and Price aren’t going well. Instead, this is likely Montreal simply playing it safe. After all, Price is a vital part of their long-term plans and they don’t want to give opposing teams any opportunity to wrestle him away.
Price is coming off a two-year/$5.5 million contract and he’ll probably end up with a substantial raise.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 11
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 54
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 80
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional