Jun 21, 2012, 3:33 PM EDT
Not that there was really much cause for concern before, but it looks like one way or another, Carey Price will be wearing a Montreal Canadiens’ uniform in 2012-13. According to a recent report from RDS’ Renaud Lavoie, Montreal has filed for salary arbitration with Price.
Price was scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer, but if this report is true, then no NHL team will be allowed to present Price with an offer sheet. At the same time, the Montreal Canadiens can continue to negotiate with Price in the hopes of avoiding arbitration altogether.
Lavoie said that this shouldn’t be taken as a sign that the contract talks between Montreal and Price aren’t going well. Instead, this is likely Montreal simply playing it safe. After all, Price is a vital part of their long-term plans and they don’t want to give opposing teams any opportunity to wrestle him away.
Price is coming off a two-year/$5.5 million contract and he’ll probably end up with a substantial raise.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 4
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 10
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 27
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)