Jun 21, 2012, 6:47 PM EDT
The thought of Jordan Staal playing alongside his brother Eric has crossed plenty of peoples’ minds, particularly Carolina Hurricanes fans. With word surfacing that Staal rejected the Pittsburgh Penguins’ 10-year contract extension offer – which has been validated by Staal’s agent -one cannot help but wonder if Jordan considered the possibility himself.
Everything I’m hearing is that Staal’s desire to play in Carolina – should a deal not be reached in Pittsburgh – is legitimate.
There’s been some talk that Jordan wants a bigger role on his given team than he’s likely to receive batting behind Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in Pittsburgh. His brother Eric (and possibly Jeff Skinner) would almost certainly remain higher on the food chain in Carolina if a deal ever took place, but it’s easy to imagine Jordan getting a better chance to show off his skills with the Canes.
One way or another, this is a huge week for Jordan Staal, who’s about to get married.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)