Jun 21, 2012, 5:29 PM EST
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, Jordan Staal has rejected a 10-year contract extension offered by the Pittsburgh Penguins. On top of that, Staal isn’t interested in signing a new contract at this time.
If true, this is very troubling news for the Penguins as Staal is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013.
We’ve been hearing trade rumors involving Staal for a while now, but this report will pour gasoline onto that fire. The Penguins will not want to risk losing Staal for nothing and, as a team that hopes to compete in 2012-13, dealing him over the summer might be preferable to looking into their options at the trade deadline.
Of course, there’s any number of potential suitors for Staal if he is traded, but most of them will be hesitant to break the bank for a guy that might turn into a one-year rental. An exception to that rule might be the Carolina Hurricanes, which already employs his older brother, Eric Staal. His younger brother, Jared, is also in the organization, but hasn’t made his NHL debut.
The other member of the Staal brothers, Marc, is of course playing for the New York Rangers, but Pittsburgh would probably balk at the prospect of trading Jordan to a division rival.
Of course, all this trade talk is just speculation, but you can expect to see a whole lot more of it in the near future if McKenzie’s report isn’t countered.
Update: Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review has confirmed that Staal rejected a 10-year deal from the Penguins.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)