Jun 21, 2012, 12:56 PM EST
Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog had a tremendous season and did a lot to earn the 2011-12 Calder Trophy. However, as the Edmonton Journal reported, Landeskog took a moment to try and pump up the two other finalists, Edmonton’s Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and New Jersey’s Adam Henrique, after winning the award.
“If Ryan hadn’t got hurt (two shoulder injuries) I am sure he would have won this,” said Landeskog. “And if they had counted the playoffs, I feel Adam (three game-winners, two in overtime) would have won.”
Nugent-Hopkins, who is a friend of Landeskog, said that the Calder Trophy winner was just being humble.
“I heard it was a pretty big landslide,” Nugent-Hopkins said. “As the season was wearing on, I heard Landeskog’s name a lot. I kind of expected he would win.”
Landeskog won by a clean margin, but it’s hard to call it a landslide victory. He had 1,383 points to Nugent-Hopkins’ 1,001 in the hockey writer’s vote.
Maybe there’s some truth to what Landeskog said, but then again, maybe not. Landeskog finished third out of the finalists in points per game, but he was also a far more physical player. On top of that, he led all rookies in takeaways and got regular minutes during shorthanded situations. In short, Landeskog helped the Colorado Avalanche in a lot of different ways and he’s deserving of recognition.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)