Jun 21, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Zemgus Girgensons (C)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 198 Shoots: Left
Team: Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 18 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
By many accounts, Zemgus Girgensons is a “safe” pick projected to go mid-first round. He brings little bit of everything — some snarl, some offensive skill and defensive aptitude — but questions revolve around how much. Scouts are divided on his upside with some comparing him to Ryan Kesler…and others comparing him to Colton Gillies.
Girgensons possesses the size, skill and nastiness to survive at the NHL-level. The question is if he can thrive.
Of note, he has a sweet nickname (“The Latvian Locomotive”) and could be the first Latvian-born player drafted in the first round.
“Girgensons is the type of player you would love to have on your team, but hate to play against. His physical brand of hockey, work ethic and hunger for the puck is unrivalled by any player in the USHL and arguably his draft class.
“Girgensons plays the game the only way he knows how – in your face and full throttle – as he goes through players rather than around them… The opposition has to constantly be alert when he is on the ice, as he will hit with authority and can also burn a team on the scoresheet with his hands.”
More draft profiles:
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)