Jun 21, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Zemgus Girgensons (C)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 198 Shoots: Left
Team: Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 18 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
By many accounts, Zemgus Girgensons is a “safe” pick projected to go mid-first round. He brings little bit of everything — some snarl, some offensive skill and defensive aptitude — but questions revolve around how much. Scouts are divided on his upside with some comparing him to Ryan Kesler…and others comparing him to Colton Gillies.
Girgensons possesses the size, skill and nastiness to survive at the NHL-level. The question is if he can thrive.
Of note, he has a sweet nickname (“The Latvian Locomotive”) and could be the first Latvian-born player drafted in the first round.
“Girgensons is the type of player you would love to have on your team, but hate to play against. His physical brand of hockey, work ethic and hunger for the puck is unrivalled by any player in the USHL and arguably his draft class.
“Girgensons plays the game the only way he knows how – in your face and full throttle – as he goes through players rather than around them… The opposition has to constantly be alert when he is on the ice, as he will hit with authority and can also burn a team on the scoresheet with his hands.”
More draft profiles:
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)