Jun 21, 2012, 8:30 AM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Tomas Hertl (C)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 198 Shoots: Left
Team: Slavia Praha (CZE)
Country: Czech Republic
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 5 among European skaters
What kind of player is he?
Hertl’s an offensively gifted player with a number of appealing tools. He’s coming off a great season with Slavia Praha HC where he scored 12 goals and 25 points in 38 games as a rookie and was a leader for the Czech Republic in the 2012 World Juniors, scoring three goals and five points in six contests.
Look for Hertl to be taken in the latter half of the first round or early in the second round and remain with Slavia Praha for the 2012-13 campaign. A couple seasons might pass before he makes his NHL debut, but the team that drafts him could end up with a top six forward.
“One of the few bright spots for HC Slavia Praha, Hertl led all rookie scorers in the Extraliga, the top Czech men’s league. His unique brand of offensive fortitude coupled with his strong character and relentless work ethic makes him a very sought after prospect.
“He refuses to give up regardless of the score. His footwork is his biggest liability and if he can make adjustments to his skating technique he has the potential to be a top-six forward at the NHL level.” — David Burstyn, McKeen’s Hockey
More draft profiles:
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 61
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)