Jun 21, 2012, 8:30 AM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Tomas Hertl (C)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 198 Shoots: Left
Team: Slavia Praha (CZE)
Country: Czech Republic
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 5 among European skaters
What kind of player is he?
Hertl’s an offensively gifted player with a number of appealing tools. He’s coming off a great season with Slavia Praha HC where he scored 12 goals and 25 points in 38 games as a rookie and was a leader for the Czech Republic in the 2012 World Juniors, scoring three goals and five points in six contests.
Look for Hertl to be taken in the latter half of the first round or early in the second round and remain with Slavia Praha for the 2012-13 campaign. A couple seasons might pass before he makes his NHL debut, but the team that drafts him could end up with a top six forward.
“One of the few bright spots for HC Slavia Praha, Hertl led all rookie scorers in the Extraliga, the top Czech men’s league. His unique brand of offensive fortitude coupled with his strong character and relentless work ethic makes him a very sought after prospect.
“He refuses to give up regardless of the score. His footwork is his biggest liability and if he can make adjustments to his skating technique he has the potential to be a top-six forward at the NHL level.” — David Burstyn, McKeen’s Hockey
More draft profiles:
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 6
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)