Jun 21, 2012, 8:30 AM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Tomas Hertl (C)
Height: 6’2 Weight: 198 Shoots: Left
Team: Slavia Praha (CZE)
Country: Czech Republic
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 5 among European skaters
What kind of player is he?
Hertl’s an offensively gifted player with a number of appealing tools. He’s coming off a great season with Slavia Praha HC where he scored 12 goals and 25 points in 38 games as a rookie and was a leader for the Czech Republic in the 2012 World Juniors, scoring three goals and five points in six contests.
Look for Hertl to be taken in the latter half of the first round or early in the second round and remain with Slavia Praha for the 2012-13 campaign. A couple seasons might pass before he makes his NHL debut, but the team that drafts him could end up with a top six forward.
“One of the few bright spots for HC Slavia Praha, Hertl led all rookie scorers in the Extraliga, the top Czech men’s league. His unique brand of offensive fortitude coupled with his strong character and relentless work ethic makes him a very sought after prospect.
“He refuses to give up regardless of the score. His footwork is his biggest liability and if he can make adjustments to his skating technique he has the potential to be a top-six forward at the NHL level.” — David Burstyn, McKeen’s Hockey
More draft profiles:
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 7
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)