Jun 21, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Matthew Finn (D)
Height: 6’0 Weight: 195 Shoots: Left
Team: Guelph Storm (OHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 16 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Not the smoothest in the draft, but a strong work ethic and a newfound commitment to fitness translated into dramatic improvement this season, as Finn tallied 48 points in 61 games on a young Guelph squad. He likes to rush with the puck and has one of the better shots in the draft. However, according to McKeen’s, he “could improve his quick twitch muscles for faster response time out of the gate.” But hey, couldn’t we all?
“His conditioning is 100 times better this season. If you can imagine a 16-year-old being out of shape, he was. I had my year-end meeting with him and I said, ‘you can be a top 10 player or in the top seven rounds, you got to decide.’ That’s really ultimately on the player and, man, he went home and came back in phenomenal shape. I give full credit to him.” – Guelph head coach Scott Walker
More draft profiles:
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup