Jun 21, 2012, 9:02 AM EST
Nicklas Lidstrom announced his retirement last month, but Pavel Datsyuk is still coming to terms with it.
“It’s been like a dream. A bad dream. A nightmare,” Datsyuk said during the NHL Awards media gathering. “I keep thinking I’ll see him again soon in [training camp], just like always. I keep telling myself this, thinking it will come true. I can’t believe this has happened.”
Part of the reason Datsyuk is having a hard time accepting the fact that Lidstrom is gone is because of the defenseman’s ability to seemingly defy the aging process. Datsyuk believes that Lidstrom would have been one of the NHL’s top blueliners in 2012-13 if he had decided to extend his career.
All the same, Lidstrom has made his decision and now the Red Wings must move on. They need a new captain and it might be Datsyuk.
“I mean, I don’t know about that,” said Datsyuk. “We had [Steve] Yzerman, and then Nick. Those are two great captains, for a long time. It will be very hard to be like them.”
That’s a point worth dwelling on. The Detroit Red Wings did have Yzerman and, for that matter, Brendan Shanahan, Sergei Fedorov, Brian Rafalski, and Dominik Hasek, to name a few other greats that have hanged up their skates. However, the Red Wings dynasty has survived because there’s always been another person to stand up.
This time around they might do part of their healing by acquiring Ryan Suter and/or Zach Parise if they hit the unrestricted free agent market. Either way, moving on without Lidstrom might not end up being a nightmare.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)