Jun 21, 2012, 9:02 AM EDT
Nicklas Lidstrom announced his retirement last month, but Pavel Datsyuk is still coming to terms with it.
“It’s been like a dream. A bad dream. A nightmare,” Datsyuk said during the NHL Awards media gathering. “I keep thinking I’ll see him again soon in [training camp], just like always. I keep telling myself this, thinking it will come true. I can’t believe this has happened.”
Part of the reason Datsyuk is having a hard time accepting the fact that Lidstrom is gone is because of the defenseman’s ability to seemingly defy the aging process. Datsyuk believes that Lidstrom would have been one of the NHL’s top blueliners in 2012-13 if he had decided to extend his career.
All the same, Lidstrom has made his decision and now the Red Wings must move on. They need a new captain and it might be Datsyuk.
“I mean, I don’t know about that,” said Datsyuk. “We had [Steve] Yzerman, and then Nick. Those are two great captains, for a long time. It will be very hard to be like them.”
That’s a point worth dwelling on. The Detroit Red Wings did have Yzerman and, for that matter, Brendan Shanahan, Sergei Fedorov, Brian Rafalski, and Dominik Hasek, to name a few other greats that have hanged up their skates. However, the Red Wings dynasty has survived because there’s always been another person to stand up.
This time around they might do part of their healing by acquiring Ryan Suter and/or Zach Parise if they hit the unrestricted free agent market. Either way, moving on without Lidstrom might not end up being a nightmare.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 4
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)