Jun 21, 2012, 1:29 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have regularly been brought up in rumors surrounding Columbus’ Rick Nash and New Jersey’s Zach Parise. Philadelphia’s cap situation isn’t good, but they could certainly find a way to add either superstar if they want to get creative. The question is: should they?
CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio doesn’t think so. He argued that the team doesn’t need another expensive forward while they still have so many questions on their back end.
What happens if Chris Pronger isn’t able to return from post-concussion syndrome? What if Matt Carle doesn’t end up re-signing despite Flyers GM Paul Holmgren insistence that he wants to stay in Philadelphia? What if Kimmo Timonen starts to slow down given his age?
The Philadelphia Flyers have limited resources and they should focus them on the area that represents their greatest potential weakness.
Unfortunately, that’s easier said than done. As we’ve previously reported, the list of defensemen scheduled to hit the unrestricted free agent market is pretty slim.
Ryan Suter is obviously the biggest potential prize, but the Philadelphia Flyers might end up with Dennis Wideman or Jason Garrison if Suter decides to go elsewhere. If they can’t get any of those three, then you have to attempt to make a trade or settle for guys like Bryan Allen or Michal Rozsival.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)