Jun 21, 2012, 1:29 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have regularly been brought up in rumors surrounding Columbus’ Rick Nash and New Jersey’s Zach Parise. Philadelphia’s cap situation isn’t good, but they could certainly find a way to add either superstar if they want to get creative. The question is: should they?
CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio doesn’t think so. He argued that the team doesn’t need another expensive forward while they still have so many questions on their back end.
What happens if Chris Pronger isn’t able to return from post-concussion syndrome? What if Matt Carle doesn’t end up re-signing despite Flyers GM Paul Holmgren insistence that he wants to stay in Philadelphia? What if Kimmo Timonen starts to slow down given his age?
The Philadelphia Flyers have limited resources and they should focus them on the area that represents their greatest potential weakness.
Unfortunately, that’s easier said than done. As we’ve previously reported, the list of defensemen scheduled to hit the unrestricted free agent market is pretty slim.
Ryan Suter is obviously the biggest potential prize, but the Philadelphia Flyers might end up with Dennis Wideman or Jason Garrison if Suter decides to go elsewhere. If they can’t get any of those three, then you have to attempt to make a trade or settle for guys like Bryan Allen or Michal Rozsival.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)