Jun 21, 2012, 1:29 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have regularly been brought up in rumors surrounding Columbus’ Rick Nash and New Jersey’s Zach Parise. Philadelphia’s cap situation isn’t good, but they could certainly find a way to add either superstar if they want to get creative. The question is: should they?
CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio doesn’t think so. He argued that the team doesn’t need another expensive forward while they still have so many questions on their back end.
What happens if Chris Pronger isn’t able to return from post-concussion syndrome? What if Matt Carle doesn’t end up re-signing despite Flyers GM Paul Holmgren insistence that he wants to stay in Philadelphia? What if Kimmo Timonen starts to slow down given his age?
The Philadelphia Flyers have limited resources and they should focus them on the area that represents their greatest potential weakness.
Unfortunately, that’s easier said than done. As we’ve previously reported, the list of defensemen scheduled to hit the unrestricted free agent market is pretty slim.
Ryan Suter is obviously the biggest potential prize, but the Philadelphia Flyers might end up with Dennis Wideman or Jason Garrison if Suter decides to go elsewhere. If they can’t get any of those three, then you have to attempt to make a trade or settle for guys like Bryan Allen or Michal Rozsival.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 15
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 25
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 30
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 27
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)