Jun 21, 2012, 1:29 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have regularly been brought up in rumors surrounding Columbus’ Rick Nash and New Jersey’s Zach Parise. Philadelphia’s cap situation isn’t good, but they could certainly find a way to add either superstar if they want to get creative. The question is: should they?
CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio doesn’t think so. He argued that the team doesn’t need another expensive forward while they still have so many questions on their back end.
What happens if Chris Pronger isn’t able to return from post-concussion syndrome? What if Matt Carle doesn’t end up re-signing despite Flyers GM Paul Holmgren insistence that he wants to stay in Philadelphia? What if Kimmo Timonen starts to slow down given his age?
The Philadelphia Flyers have limited resources and they should focus them on the area that represents their greatest potential weakness.
Unfortunately, that’s easier said than done. As we’ve previously reported, the list of defensemen scheduled to hit the unrestricted free agent market is pretty slim.
Ryan Suter is obviously the biggest potential prize, but the Philadelphia Flyers might end up with Dennis Wideman or Jason Garrison if Suter decides to go elsewhere. If they can’t get any of those three, then you have to attempt to make a trade or settle for guys like Bryan Allen or Michal Rozsival.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)