Jun 21, 2012, 1:29 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have regularly been brought up in rumors surrounding Columbus’ Rick Nash and New Jersey’s Zach Parise. Philadelphia’s cap situation isn’t good, but they could certainly find a way to add either superstar if they want to get creative. The question is: should they?
CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio doesn’t think so. He argued that the team doesn’t need another expensive forward while they still have so many questions on their back end.
What happens if Chris Pronger isn’t able to return from post-concussion syndrome? What if Matt Carle doesn’t end up re-signing despite Flyers GM Paul Holmgren insistence that he wants to stay in Philadelphia? What if Kimmo Timonen starts to slow down given his age?
The Philadelphia Flyers have limited resources and they should focus them on the area that represents their greatest potential weakness.
Unfortunately, that’s easier said than done. As we’ve previously reported, the list of defensemen scheduled to hit the unrestricted free agent market is pretty slim.
Ryan Suter is obviously the biggest potential prize, but the Philadelphia Flyers might end up with Dennis Wideman or Jason Garrison if Suter decides to go elsewhere. If they can’t get any of those three, then you have to attempt to make a trade or settle for guys like Bryan Allen or Michal Rozsival.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)