Jun 21, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
With each year, it seems like draft day increases to encroach upon the trade deadline when it comes to splashy deals. It makes perfect sense that Rick Nash trade rumors continue to swirl considering that trend, yet Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson told Aaron Portzline that a deal isn’t looming.
“Uh no, not at all,” Howson said. “A lot of things can happen between now and when the draft is over. I’m not counting on anything. Obviously our goal is to do what’s best for team and that’s how we’ll continue to operate.”
For what it’s worth, Nick Kypreos reports that the San Jose Sharks and Ottawa Senators are the teams that are “most interested” in Nash at the moment.
Even if the Blue Jackets opt against moving Nash tomorrow, they still might make some waves. In other news, Howson & Co. aren’t looking to move up from the No. 2 spot to No. 1, but they might agree to trade down. There’s also been murmurs that James van Riemsdyk would be willing to play for Columbus if a trade took place.
This is obviously a huge off-season for Howson. If all the scuttlebutt is justifiable, then he just make a bold move or two.
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 0
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6