Jun 21, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
With each year, it seems like draft day increases to encroach upon the trade deadline when it comes to splashy deals. It makes perfect sense that Rick Nash trade rumors continue to swirl considering that trend, yet Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson told Aaron Portzline that a deal isn’t looming.
“Uh no, not at all,” Howson said. “A lot of things can happen between now and when the draft is over. I’m not counting on anything. Obviously our goal is to do what’s best for team and that’s how we’ll continue to operate.”
For what it’s worth, Nick Kypreos reports that the San Jose Sharks and Ottawa Senators are the teams that are “most interested” in Nash at the moment.
Even if the Blue Jackets opt against moving Nash tomorrow, they still might make some waves. In other news, Howson & Co. aren’t looking to move up from the No. 2 spot to No. 1, but they might agree to trade down. There’s also been murmurs that James van Riemsdyk would be willing to play for Columbus if a trade took place.
This is obviously a huge off-season for Howson. If all the scuttlebutt is justifiable, then he just make a bold move or two.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 20
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 16
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)