Jun 21, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
With each year, it seems like draft day increases to encroach upon the trade deadline when it comes to splashy deals. It makes perfect sense that Rick Nash trade rumors continue to swirl considering that trend, yet Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson told Aaron Portzline that a deal isn’t looming.
“Uh no, not at all,” Howson said. “A lot of things can happen between now and when the draft is over. I’m not counting on anything. Obviously our goal is to do what’s best for team and that’s how we’ll continue to operate.”
For what it’s worth, Nick Kypreos reports that the San Jose Sharks and Ottawa Senators are the teams that are “most interested” in Nash at the moment.
Even if the Blue Jackets opt against moving Nash tomorrow, they still might make some waves. In other news, Howson & Co. aren’t looking to move up from the No. 2 spot to No. 1, but they might agree to trade down. There’s also been murmurs that James van Riemsdyk would be willing to play for Columbus if a trade took place.
This is obviously a huge off-season for Howson. If all the scuttlebutt is justifiable, then he just make a bold move or two.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 2
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 14
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28