Jun 21, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
With each year, it seems like draft day increases to encroach upon the trade deadline when it comes to splashy deals. It makes perfect sense that Rick Nash trade rumors continue to swirl considering that trend, yet Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson told Aaron Portzline that a deal isn’t looming.
“Uh no, not at all,” Howson said. “A lot of things can happen between now and when the draft is over. I’m not counting on anything. Obviously our goal is to do what’s best for team and that’s how we’ll continue to operate.”
For what it’s worth, Nick Kypreos reports that the San Jose Sharks and Ottawa Senators are the teams that are “most interested” in Nash at the moment.
Even if the Blue Jackets opt against moving Nash tomorrow, they still might make some waves. In other news, Howson & Co. aren’t looking to move up from the No. 2 spot to No. 1, but they might agree to trade down. There’s also been murmurs that James van Riemsdyk would be willing to play for Columbus if a trade took place.
This is obviously a huge off-season for Howson. If all the scuttlebutt is justifiable, then he just make a bold move or two.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)